Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Missing my dad

I'm sorry.  It can take a long time to get used to the changes it means for our lives.  Been missing my dad 38 years now, my mom over five years, my sister 1 1/2 years, my dog three months, and my husband 14 1/2 years.  At my age loss is inevitable.  I think it'd be harder when young because your peers aren't going through that and the stark contrast of their lives and yours is very noticeable.  I have a lot of widowed friends that get it.

Have you considered attending a grief support group?  It might be helpful, esp. around your birthday and the holidays.

• Like 2

Rather than dreading the day or letting it sneak up on you, you might consider planning ahead on how you can spend that special birthday, along with some creative ways that you might include your father in your celebration. You're limited only by your imagination ~ and constructing a ritual that is packed with meaning, no matter how simple or how elaborate, can be a powerful source of comfort and a wonderful way for you to share this day with your dad. See, for example, Grief Rituals Can Help on Valentine’s Day (or Any Special Day) along with the related resources listed at the base.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, MartyT said:

Rather than dreading the day or letting it sneak up on you, you might consider planning ahead on how you can spend that special birthday, along with some creative ways that you might include your father in your celebration.

EXCELLENT advice!  That's why we keep her!  :wub:  It does help to have some plan in place and many have said the apprehension of the day was worse than the actual day itself.  

• Like 1