Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Twilight - my 17 yr old bestfriend

My cat of 17 years, Twilight, passed away this morning. I have never felt more broken hearted. He had stomach cancer and was not responding well to treatment so my sister, my mom, and I had to make the difficult decision to put him to rest. I didn't want to be present during the process because I knew I would have the mental image in my head for the rest of my life. However, I remembered this wasn't about me and was about him. I wanted him to know I was there in his last moments. I miss him so so much, and I don't know how I will ever heal from this pain. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Twilight, my dear, and from the way you've described his final moments with you, I'm sure he knew how very much you loved him ~ and that this was your final act of love for him. Yes, it is a heart-breaking decision, but a selfless one that exchanges his suffering for your own. Now you are the one in pain. One day the precious memories you shared with Twilight will far outweigh those awful images ~ and when you think of the 17 years you shared, may love be what you remember most. ❤️

I'm so sorry!  I lost my 25 year old cat in January, she started showing signs of illness on Christmas.  Her kidney & liver shut down.  It's hard to get through such a loss, esp. when they've been with you so long.  You did the right thing though.  It's what any good parent would do, take the suffering on themselves so their animal can be at peace.