Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our good girl

Michael B.

We recently lost our beagle, our girl “Kobe” on Good Friday due to complications of diabetes which was sort of all new. I’ve been feeling guilty and wish I could have identified the symptoms. I feel like I neglected her; I’ve noticed some of the symptoms but didn’t act on it right away- I thought she would get better but when I brought her to the vet her blood sugar was very high already. She was in good health just this past year. I missed all the symptoms, I should have known better as I work in medical field. I blame myself for giving up so easily. Once I was told of the things that she would go through, what our family would go through- I didn’t take everything into considerations; I didn’t take days to think about it- maybe she could have recovered and she would still be with us; she was my best friend, my consoler, my good girl yet I didn’t fight long enough for her. Now all I feel is guilt and sadness. I really miss my beagle; I really miss my girl- our girl.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss.  IMO Diabetes is harder to control in dogs than humans.  My boss' dog, Jessica had Diabetes and in spite of the best care, she died within months.  Hindsight is always easier but at the time we don't always see what we do later.  I hope you will work on forgiving yourself.  I lost my dog (cancer) a few months ago and miss him more than anything in the world, I wish I could have saved him and had him with me still.  I know your pain, our grief continues along with our love and missing them.

I hope these articles will be of help to you:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf
https://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

And that this brings you comfort:

We had to say goodbye to our dog on Friday as well because of kidney disease and it all felt so fast. I'm going to tell you what a friend told me when I told her: "That's the hardest, most loving thing." Dogs are so loyal and even when things get really bad and they are in chronic pain that we can or can't see, they will push it aside to keep going another day. We don't want them to experience that, what we want is for them to physically be with us for as long as possible, but not when we know what's coming will be the worst days of their lives. While there might be signs, they can't communicate when pain starts or how bad it is for them, and we can't ask them when it's too much to bare. Please repeat to yourself that this was the hardest most loving thing. The guilt is part of the grief. It's terrible to have the weight and responsibility of that decision, but it's because of the deep relationship and love you have and always will have for your pet. It will come and go, and you have to let it. 

• Like 1