Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Preparing and planning to let go

Hello,

My 16 yo yorkie, bean, was admitted yesterday after getting ill. He was doing so well. He turns 17 in February. I received a call that his kidney levels are 3 times the amount they should be. I am struggling with the reality that there might be more bad days than good moving forward, and I don’t want him to have any bad days. I have seen some people keep their pets when the pets are suffering so much. I know I am going to have a hard time letting go, for Bean has been with me for nearly half of my life. Are there any tips on how to make the transition more positive and pet-focused? I do not want Bean to suffer. He has severe arthritis and the new pain med they gave him made him so jumpy and upset. I have never heard whines and whimpers like that from him. I will take any and all advice. I am so sad because he was so playful a couple days ago.

Sincerely,

Bean’s mom

67904F6F-7EC2-40A6-A1FD-5A66653FFB2E.jpeg

• Like 1

My dear, your Bean is absolutely precious ~ and what a darling photo you've shared with us! I can only imagine how painful it must be for you even to think of losing him. Sadly, however, the life span of our beloved animal companions is so much shorter than our own, and it seems as if your Bean is nearing that dreaded time, as his kidneys may be failing and his body begins to be shutting down. I know that doesn't make it any easier to bear ~ but it is a reality that we all must face one day, if we ever decide to give our hearts to our fur babies, as you have done with Bean.

I want to point you to a number of readings that I hope will help as you deal with whatever lies ahead. Note that each article includes links to related resources, too:

Pet Loss: Waiting for Biopsy Results

Anticipating the Death of A Cherished Pet

Pet Euthanasia: When Is It Time to Say Goodbye?

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

thank you for the information! i actually just received a call from his vet er. his kidney levels dropped and they said he had a “fantastic day,” so i am more confused. this has launched my anticipatory grief. he is going to undergo more testing bc they think it’s an infection or possibly cancer. i am going to do the best i can to keep him comfortable and let him know how grateful i am for the joy he has given me. he is the best. i worry i can never own another dog bc bean is so special. he is a chill, intuitive, cuddly yorkie that acts just like a little human. i am going to look into these. thank you so much!

• Like 2

I am so sorry, I just responded in your other thread.  I hope you'll update us when you know something.  Yorkies are very sweet wonderful dogs, I can only imagine what you must be going through, but I hope it's something they can treat.  :wub:

• Like Copy 1

yorkies are the best 🥰 i just brought bean home! his labs returned to normal, and they said he was bouncing around the kennel this morning. they called him jumping bean. he will be switched from rimadyl to gabapentin. we are also trying a kidney diet. they vet said she is not critically concerned about him sticking to it. she just wants him to eat. she also said he can have his regular treats because she wants him to maintain a wonderful quality of life. we are so happy to have him home. i am going to take each day at a time and treat like the gift he is. he is such an amazing baby. thank you for all the advice and feedback. i am so appreciative! 

• Like 2

OMG, this is a miracle and gift, PTL!  So GLAD to hear this news!  When my Arlie was dying of cancer (they gave him no hope) I used to get up every day and tell myself, "Every day with Arlie is a GOOD day!"  So that reminded me of that.  So important to enjoy each day with them to the fullest!  

So so happy for both of you!  Wow!!! :wub:  Jumping Bean just made my day!