Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Journey Home - By Sphinx

Novi

I woke up and mum was laying in bed beside me. I moved my head over a little so I can give her some good morning kisses. She gave me a smile but I could see sadness in her eyes. I didn't understand why. I know I haven't been feeling well for the last few days, but the day before mum got me some medication. It helped to make me feel a little better even though I am still very tired for some reason.

Mum carefully got up trying not to disturb me. She went to the kitchen. I didn't like that! I'm still sick, was she getting ready for work? Was she going to leave me here alone and frightened for hours? I have to stop her!

I'm weak but I can walk... sort of. By the time I reach the end of the hallway my legs couldn't hold me up anymore and I fell. Mum! Help!

I was so relieved when she came around the corner and took me in her arms. She knows I'm scared. She tells me that I am also brave, and assures me that she's not leaving me. I let myself relax... maybe a little too much... and I had an accident. Mum grabbed the roll of paper-towel and began to dry me off. I'm trying not to be embarrassed because I didn't mean to do it. I'm just not feeling very well today.

Soon after we're in her car. I'm not in a carrier this time. I'm wrapped in a soft red blanket. Mum is petting me in between shifting gears and at red lights. She's telling me not to cry, that I'm going home now. I don't really understand what she means because we just left home, but I trust her so I sit calmly while enjoying her gentle pets on my head and neck.

Next, mum is taking me out of the car and carrying me inside a building. I know this building, I was just here yesterday. This is where the nice man gave me some medication to make me feel a little better.

We are taken to a room and mum sits down with me in her arms, still wrapped in that nice warm blanket. I know mum is very sad now. She's got tears in her eyes and she is trying not to let them fall. But she can't hide it from me. I don't just see that she is sad, I can feel it too.

She is telling me that she loves me and to not be scared, I'm going home soon.

After a few more minutes a nurse comes into the room. She says that she is going to give me a needle, just a little prick. I'm so tired that I barely felt it. The nurse called me a good girl and told me that I was brave.

Mum put her head down and kissed me again, then whispered, "I told you that you were brave."

Those are the last words I heard mum say.

I fell asleep and woke up somewhere else. As I opened my eyes, I could see my big brother! I had missed him so much!!

"You made it!" Beck says to me.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"We're at the meadows. It's perfect here, you'll love it!"

I look around. "Where's mum?"

"Mum isn't here yet," he explains. "We have to wait for her." 

I didn't understand. How did I get all the way out here if she hadn't come with me?

Beck lovingly explained that mum had made the difficult decision to let me go so I wouldn't have to be in pain. I remembered her tears and her sadness before I left earth and finally, I understood. She had saved me from pain but in exchange now she was the one who was left feeling pain. That didn't seem fair at all!

"She'll be fine, she will just need some time to grieve. Now it's our job to look out for her like she did for us all those years. She might not see us but she can feel us. I promise." Beck assured me. "She knows we're here waiting for her. We'll see her when it's her time to come home."

20180919_043306.jpg.7f75a1f43bfd03ba2187be5d431cc32c.jpg

Sphinx (left) and Beck (right) 

• Like 2

Good for you for writing this!  It helps and Sphinx' story deserves telling.:wub:

• Like Copy 1

Thank you Kayc, and yes her story does need telling. Funny too, because she never stopped talking. It's been quiet at home since she's been gone.

I'm grateful I had 13 years with Sphinx. I found her in the summer of 2007. My mom, brother, sister and I were leaving town to head to a lake for a day of swimming and tanning. I was driving, and she dashed across the street and tried to jump up on the sidewalk but missed and rolled back onto the road. I just narrowly avoided running her over. I immediately pulled over and started running after her. She ran into a parking lot nearby and right up the engine of a large truck. The owner of the truck saw what was happening and came out from whatever business he was inside. He walked over to us and said, "I know how to take care of this," and got into his truck. I thought for sure he was going to start the engine and kill her, I don't know why, maybe it was the way he spoke, but instead he returned and handed me a pair of work gloves so I could retrieve her without getting scratched or bitten. I caught her, took her to the humane society and told them to call me if no one claimed her. They called back a week later and I took her to her forever home. 

It's a lovely memory as well because that day we went to the lake was the last time my family hung out together as a family.

Sphinx tripped jumping the curb because someone had physically abused her and she had some broken bones. People are so cruel. I was meant to find her, that much is certain. Her life started off bad, but she had 13 wonderful years before cancer took her, and although it's a sad ending, I know her death was okay too because I didn't let her suffer. And I got to be there with her until she took her last breath. 

• Like 1

I remember leaving the vet clinic after Sphinx was euthanized. I walked out the door and to my car. A man that was parked next to me got out of his car and smiled at me and said, "hi." It took everything in me not to break down, I managed to smile and say hi back. I drove away fighting the urge to break down. I made it halfway home until I was stopped at a red light. This little red car was stopped beside me, a bit ahead of my car and I could see the license plate: Ohana.

I couldn't hold back the tears when I saw that. (Ohana is from the movie Lilo and Stitch, my favourite Disney film)

Ohana means "family" and family means that no one gets left behind. I feel that 100% for pets, once you adopt, you don't give them up. They are family and should be treated as such.

When Beck took his last breath I was holding him in my arms in the only clean blanket I had left in the house; a Lilo and Stitch blanket. I think seeing that license plate was a sign that Beck was watching out for me that day and letting me know Sphinx made it home to be with him.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memory and start to her story...I will continue to read as you post.  I agree with you.  The only thing I can't handle is a vicious dog, I've had 8 dog bites in two years, 11 hand injuries in all, five of them major.  I won't adopt a vicious dog, although I felt in love with a couple.  You never get over that, the love or the attack.

• Like 1

Is that why you have issues with your hands? I read something about it and I was trying to piece it together.

Although I would love it, I don't think I will ever own a dog. I've always wanted one but apartment living and my long (12 hour) night shifts really wouldn't make it easy to have one. It wouldn't be fair to the dog.

Maybe one day when I'm working less or retired I will adopt an older dog that needs a home. 

• Like 1

I've had 11 hand injuries, 8 of them dog bites, the 5 major ones were an overzealous dermatologist, a hard yank from a chow, a severe bite from the chow, and a severe bite from a Husky, and a botched surgery.  I won't let another surgeon touch them.  The others were lesser dog bites, caused pain, scarring, arthritis, but not as severe as these other injuries.

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

Sphinx,

You made your journey home to the Meadows two years ago on this day. My heart still hurts so bad from missing you.

I'm thankful I found you that day. Although I am sad that you were injured when I found you, I don't think I would have found you if you weren't. You were tough, the vet said you would always have a limp but you made a full recovery. You walked without issue for the thirteen wonderful years I had you.

Say hi to Beck and Cleo for me, I hope you are all happy playing together and eating everything you desire. Nile is still doing well but I know it won't be long until he joins you all. Once he makes his journey home, it will mark the end of an era for me. 

I look forward to the day we are all together again.

1496400737_SphinxSept12017.jpg.aeca7f6c68f667790b44d3f90c011417.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful cat, great picture.

• Like Copy 1

Aww, what a lovely idea!

• Like 1