Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Freckles💜

Frecklesx3

I lost my dear baby in October of this year. She was 18.5 years old and I’ve had her since I was 15! (32 now) and we literally grew up together. 
I feel pretty lost and empty without her. 
my husband says that I am lonely without a cat. So am I lonely without a cat or lonely without freckles? 

I am a philosophy major and one of my classes I had to study contemplative studies on religion. One of the assignments was something that sticks out to you from this course. And one of them was from a lady who studies Catholicism and lost her sister. So I used that for the lost of my cat. I painted a cat with angel wings. I had to explain the intent behind it and I was bawling my eyes doing so. 

I still cry frequently over her death. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Frecklesx3 said:

So am I lonely without a cat or lonely without freckles? 

It could be both, and I'm not sure if it makes any difference. You spent nearly half your life with Freckles ~ is it any wonder that you're missing her so much? Give yourself permission to mourn her death, and take as much time as you need. Should you ever decide to bring another kitty into your life, you will know if and when it is time. (See, for example, Pet Loss: How Long Before Adopting Another?)

Your story is a reminder that some time after my beloved cockapoo Muffin was hit by a car and later died, I took a creative writing class. One of our assignments was to write about someone who meant a great deal to us. I asked our instructor whether that "someone" could be a pet, and although she thought it was unusual, she said okay. My essay was about Muffin ~ how he came into my life, how much he meant to me, and how his tragic death affected me. I wept as I read the piece out loud to my classmates. That essay later became the introduction to my book, The Final Farewell: Preparing for and Mourning the Loss of Your Pet, and the profound effect his death had on me eventually led to my becoming a grief counselor who also specializes in pet loss. ❤️

I am so sorry for your loss.  I think your response was perfect.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers