Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Keeping Them Close

Hi, everybody....

One thing that absolutely terrifies me is that, as the years go by, I'll forget what my Dad's presence feels like (does that make sense?). I won't let my brother change the answering machine at our farm because it has my Dad's voice on the message. I was wondering....what strategies are you all using to keep your folks close to you?

Hope you all have a good day.

Wishing you comfort and peace,

Leann

I visit the cemetary frequently.

I also have a lock of Mom's hair that was stuck in a hair curler of hers, I sealed it in a little ziplock baggie. To me that's almost like she's physically here.

Hi Leann,

I too are afraid of not remembering what my mom and dad look like, or sound like... I only have pictures left but I know right now our emotions and our thoughts are not clear and in time they will become clearer... so here is to the future and the hopes that we all remember what our loved ones sound and look like... Take care Shelley

I feel that i to may forget, i look at her picture alot the last one i took before she died. I hate writing that word. i also have the pillow that she died on, i won't wash the pillow case and sleep with it everynight. my biggest fear is i won't remenber it terrifies me...lori

Hi Lorikelly,

The not remembering of my parents terrifies me the most also, I too have my mom's pillow eventhough she died in Las Vegas, she did sleep on it three days before she actually died... Take care and I will pray for you and ask God to give you the strength to go on.. And also to pray for us all so we can all remember on loved ones for ever and ever. Shelley

I also have the fear that I may not remember my Mom (or Dad) but my fear is based on age. If I die at about their ages, then I've got about 40+ years to go. I fear that things will dim with time.

It may be natural to worry so, but we shouldn't because they're always a part of us, despite how we may feel now.

Do what you can, when you can or are able, to remember the lost. Journalling, photos, scrapbooks, whatever .

Hi Paul S,

I agree with you totally, I have started to scrapbook all the pictures my mom and dad had and it is kind of neat to see them at different stages of their lives... My local hospice office actually got me into scrapbooking by doing a grief scrapbook of the loved ones we recently lost... Take care Shelley

Hi, Paul..

You said exactly what I couldn't put into words. I fear that as I age and my own memory dims, I will forget. I'm so thankful that I have lots of pictures of my Dad (just no videos; he wasn't one for "all this modern technology"). The journaling has helped me a great deal...I hadn't thought of scrapbooking (think I'll look into learning how). I still speak of my Dad in the present tense; can't bring myself to talk about him in the past.

Thank you so much everybody for all of your good ideas. You all are such a blessing.

Leann