Grief Healing Discussion Groups

On Emotional Overload

Hi All,

I have posted most of what my week has been like in "Always Thinking the Worse" for those who have not read that i will give you a short rundown:

1. youngest daughter has broken foot - not healing well - needs physical therapy

2. oldest daughter has reoccuring headaches - took her to the doctor for blood work and CT scan - waiting results

3. father-in-law - in hospital recovering from back surgery - have to go visit him when all my thougths of hospitals are from mom's times there.

Well from those three I was hitting maximum overload on the emotions. Then tonight came and put me over the top. I had to take our 6 month shih-tzu puppy to the animal hospital because he became lethargic after vomiting and having diarrhea. He is now spending the night there so they can figure out what is wrong with him. Needless to say I am an emotional wreck. I have cried none stop and just want to crawl in bed pull the covers up and not come out again. I cannot deal with anymore!!!!!! Oh, and I cannot stay in bed as my mom's husband came up to day for a visit. (His visit is adding to the emotions as well. His first time here without mom.) And then tomorrow my brother, his wife, and 4 kids are coming for the night as well. Maybe, I should go check myself into the nearest hotel. If I make it to Monday without having a breakdown it will be a miracle. HELP ME!!!!!

Libby

Libby,

Wow, that's too much to handle! I understand how overwhelmed and "on the brink of a mental breakdown" you are! I wish I had some advice....I'm feeling much the same lately, and I don't know how to handle it either! Hopefully, things will get better with all the various health issues (daughters, father-in-law and doggie) and that will take some of the pressure off. As for your "guests"...jeez, that's just what you need right now! I'd try to let them fend for themselves, so to speak, as much as possible. If it gets too bad, just try to go off alone for awhile. That's what I do when I feel like I'm just about to break in half. I will be sending good thoughts your way and for your family. Try to take care of yourself in between taking care of everyone else. Remind yourself about what they say: That if you get sick you're not going to be any good to anyone. It's true, and we have to be selfish enough to remember that! I have to remind myself of that all the time and it does help me to prioritize better. Hang in there.

Oh, one more "remedy": Go someplace and let out a gut wrenching scream...it helps!

A big hug,

Shell

Hi Shell,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will take your last piece and let out a gut wrenching scream. You better watch out because you may hear me all the way where you live.

Libby

PS We did get a call from the animal hospital this morning and my husband is on his way to pick up our puppy. He seems to be doing better with the fluids they gave him last night. Now, just waiting on word about my daughter.

Hi Curlyredheads,

I am sorry for your loss and I do think that when we lose someone it is normal to feel that we will lose someone else..I know in my situation that I am constantly thinking what will happen next... I now live with my sister and her family and shortly after I moved in there was mention that they could be transferred to Mexico with my brother in laws job... Luckily they were not but I feared for what may have been... Since than it has been a normal part of my life... I hope this helps Take care Shelley

Hi, Curlyredheads:

Boy, when it rains it pours! I'm glad to read that your furry friend is doing better. :) As for your guests, I'm with Shell. Just do what you feel you can do and they'll deal. I'll be praying for your daughter.

Wishing you comfort and peace,

Leann

Well all after what seems like an eternity we finally heard that my daughter's CT scan came back ok. She is continuing to have headaches so the doctors are thinking it might be migranes thus we are undergoing more tests. Thank you for all of your support. It has been a crazy couple of weeks but I think we are past the worst of it.

Libby

Libby...hi...I'm a licensed massage therapist, or rather retired one.....your daughter may have myofascial trigger points in her upper back, neck and head muscles....these are a big cause of headaches and almost always overlooked. find a massage therapist who knows what trigger points are and take her in for a massage...they should be able to feel them and relief comes pretty quickly. Stress is also a big contributor to headaches and trigger points.Marie

Marie,

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take both of us for a massage. I sure could use one these days.

Libby