Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Money Worries

As if this isn't hard enough, it's such a shame that alot of us here also have to worry about money. I knew I made too much money to qualify for most assistance, but I thought at least I would be able to get food stamps. Well I went to Social Services today and they said I make too much money. They said anything over $2100.00 a month is too much. I make $2400.00, counting child support. In New Jersey that is not a lot of money for a family of four. Especially with three sons! My mortgage is $1200.00 a month, utilities are high, and taxes in my town are getting a 17.6 percent raise this year. But they said there is nothing they can do. I did get free school lunches for the kids, that does help. The only other idea I have is help with my utilities. I sent in an application, I hope they approve it. That would be a help. I just hate to have to sell my house. My parents had it built in 1965, and when they moved to Fla. 12 yr. ago, I bought it from them. It means so much to me. Me and my brothers grew up here and we had so many friends, some who still come around. So many great memories. Plus me and Sean did so much work together, refinishing floors, painting, tiling etc. I just love it here and it's the only home my kids have ever known. But I know that eventually the money will run out. What I make is just not enough to keep making all the payments here. It's a scary and sad feeling. Laurie

Laurie,

Between house and utilities is that the only biils that you have? The reason I am asking is that we had a lot of other debt that I could not have been able to pay, so I file chapter 7 bankrupacy. I was able to keep the house and car, so now all I have is the mortage, car payments and utilities. I am not sure how old your kids are but if they are under 18 you can collect Social Security from your husbands account on behalf of the children. Just a couple of options that help me out a lot.

I pray that everything will work out for you.

Derek

Derek, I have mortgage, utilities, and a few credit cards (about $5000 bal. total on 3 cards) My car is paid for, although it's very old so I don't know how long it will last. My kids can't collect social security because Sean isn't their father. My ex-husband pays child support. They are 17, 14 and 9. For right now, I'm ok and I'm working alot. I just worry about a year or so from now, when the money starts to run out. I'm one of those people that falls into the cracks, I don't make enough money, yet I make too much to qualify for any help. I'm just worrying about the future. Friends have said "Don't worry, you'll meet someone else by then." and I hate thinking about that. I can't even imagine being with anyone else. Thanks Derek.

Laurie

Oh Laurie, I know how you feel, that's the boat I'm in. I used up all of my savings when I was on unemployment, I remortgaged the house to pay off the hospital and doctors when George died, and now I'm selling our truck. I cleaned it out yesterday and I sat in it and cried...I remember the day George picked it out, he was so excited. I felt like I was losing another part of him. :( It's costing me a fortune to commute but there's no jobs here...everyone says "Sell the house" but this is our HOME! This home means everything to me and I want to put his ashes here. I'd go through hell to keep this place. They don't understand, this is all I have left!

Kay, I hope so much that you'll find a way to keep your home. I think it would be so hard to leave the home you shared. I know it would break my heart to leave here. I found out that I can't refinance. I have an adjustable mortgage at 7.57% now, with a cap of 9.95%. I called so many companies but my debt to income ratio is too high, and my credit rating is too low. All I can do is hope the interest rate doesn't climb all the way up too fast. In the meantime, I'll try to improve my credit score. Some days the sadness and worries are just spinning around so fast in my head. It makes me feel so out of control. I asked my Mom and Dad if they could come earlier than usual for Christmas this year. I need them here. They'll be here in a week or so. I thank God for my family and friends. My sister in law sent me a package today with a musical card and a beautiful journal. My friend brought me over an early Christmas present, a beautiful silver sweater. And my brother stopped by and gave me a Christmas card with $300 in it for presents for the kids. Don't know how I'd have made it this far without them and all of you here. I pray for all of us, and our families every night. Love you all, Laurie

Laurie,

I'm so glad you have your family and friends. My family has given me money to tide me over with the commuting expense until I get my first paycheck...since I get paid monthly at this job, I won't have a full check until Jan. 5th! Family means so much...