Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Thank You Everyone!

I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank everyone for their posts of encouragement when I was new to these boards just 2 weeks ago. I cannot tell you what a tremendous help everyone has been! I really feel a lot better and am noticing that I am taking more and more "baby steps" every day. I wish I could meet everyone personally to thank you! I have learned so much from reading different posts on the various topics, too.

We are all in this together and I hope that we continue to grow from this experience that has brought all of us together! The more we support each other, the easier (I hope) things will get.

Love to everyone...Lori

Hello,

It's been a bad week. I thought I was doing okay, but now have horrible stomach pain. It's constant, but worse if I eat. This is something new for me.

But the real hard part is my daughter, she is far away, a freshman in college.

She was so close to my mom and is so sad. She calls late at night, crying. I don't know how to help her. We talk and talk, and usually get thru the tough nights. I was wondering if any of you could suggest a good book for her to read. She was going to look for a grief counselor close to school. Any suggests would be appreciated.

My other tough part today was...I went to buy my daughter a Valentine's Day card..wasn't prepared to see the section of "MOM" cards. I lost it and ran for my car. Maybe another day. Thanks for listening.

Dear Annie, I'm so sorry your daughter is having such a hard time. My daughters were also very close with my mom, but somehow they have been doing pretty good. It's me who was having such a hard time and they were wonderful being there for me!

Their a couple books that I am thinking of. Their not heavy and are even inspirational. One of the books is "Chicken Soup for the Grieving Soul...stories about Life, Death and overcoming the loss of a loved one". Another one is "Healing After Loss...daily meditations for working through grief". You might want to try Amazon.com to see any specific books to deal with the Grandmother/grandaughter relationship.

a book that I am reading, which is awesome, is called "Feathers Brush my Heart...true stories of mothers connecting with their daughters after death", by Sinclair Browning. Maybe you would want to read that.

Does your daughter have internet access? Maybe she could join in the discussion groups and share her story...we'd all be here to help her!

I hope your stomache feels better. Maybe use a heating pad and take a hot bath. At least it may help help you temporarily.

Take care and let us know how you and your daughter are doing.

Hugs to you both...Lori

Annie

I to hate to look at the cards. i make sure i don't go near them. i avoid anything that will make me sadder. i have heard though, some people still buy there loved ones cards and put it by there grave, ashes or just keep it at home. that would be to hard for me. i have read so may books since my mom passed.Most of them to do with what happens to us when our soul moves on. i believe strongly that we will see them again. i wait for that day to see my mom again. tell you daughter to do the best she can, talk to someone, and take one day at a time. can you visit her often? maybe that would help both of you. this is such a roller coaster ride you never know how you are going to feel. some day i am still screaming to get off but i just have to hold on real hard. lori