Grief Healing Discussion Groups

In Memory Of Rick Sept 19/48 - June18/06

missing rick

This is to honor the life of my husband Rick, who I still can't believe is gone. Rick died of lung cancer - stage 4 with mets to lining of lung and some bone. He died 8 1/2 months after diagnosis. There were no signs that he was so sick until the middle of Oct when his one lung kept filling with fluid and he had to keep draining it. He became short of breath after that but he still had no idea he was as sick as he was. When we knew he was dying, I asked him if he could would he give me a sign that he was ok and truly in a better place. We both loved watching the bald eagles at our cabin on the lake. At his service a friend commented to me about this big bird that was circling over us.I said to my son Kelly, in tears, how much I wished it was an eagle for it would be my sign. He said but it was, just an immature eagle who had not yet "earned " his white head and tail feathers. This same eagle appeared at the gathering in our backyard after the service and circled until Kelly and I noticed it and then it left.I think he was so new to heaven that he had not yet earned his white feathers. I truly believe that it was Rick telling me all was well and the way he was soaring he was pain free. I had several more eagles with me during the summer as I learned to do things on my own -such as highway driving. Never did I drive,Rick always did when we were on the highway. This is the verse he chose, even tho he thought we wouldn't need it for awhile. I'd like to share it in his memory. We called him "Big Dog" and his closest buddy is our dog Zack, a bearded collie - like the shaggy dog. They were always together and Zack liked nothing better than to lay on his "Big Dog's" lap - he weighs 64 lbs..

Miss Me, But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road

And the sun has set for me,

I want no rites in a gloom filled room

Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little, but not too long

And not with your head bowed low,

Remember the love that we once shared

Miss me, but let me go

And when you are lonely and sick at heart

Go to the friends we know

And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,