Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Broken Heart

Tears

Hi,

My name is Lynda and I lost my little chihuahua of 13 years while my husband was in the hospital having brain surgury. It wasn't enough that my husband was having a second surgury for cancer that my little dog came up missing. I did every thing possible to find him and going to the hospital for 3 weeks. I was devistated. He was my comfort zone and I loved him dearly. 4 months later my husband passed away. This has been very hard for me.

Tears

Oh, how I can feel your pain. The day after my husband died our 16 year old dog came walking down the hall and all of the sudden she couldn't use her hind legs. She seemed fine other than that but I just knew the vet was going to tell me to have her put down. He didn't though. He thought her arthritis had just really flared up because of trying to dodge all the people and told me what to give her. She had a "seizure type episode" one night too but she is still going and I am so greatful because I don't know what I would do without her. I know you said on another forum that you had just had to move but maybe once you get settled you can get another pet to help pass the time. I don't know what I'll do when the time finally comes because I look so forward to someone being happy to see me when I get home.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Mary Linda

Lynn, dear ~

I've read all your posts in this and the other forums, and I want to add my voice to those of all our other members, expressing my heartfelt sympathy to you ~ not only for the death of your husband Jimmy, but also for the loss of your dear little chihuahua, who came up missing while your husband was in the hospital. Not everyone realizes that when a much loved animal companion goes missing, it is an especially agonizing kind of loss, because of the uncertainty involved. That's because you have no idea what happened to your dog, whether he is living or dead, suffering or at peace, homeless and wandering as a stray or living with somebody else.

The feelings associated with this sort of pet loss are the same as if your dog had died, such as sorrow, longing, denial, anger and guilt. But this grief can also be complicated by your own need to keep hope alive, which constantly interrupts or delays the process and makes it far more difficult to resolve. It is like harboring a wound that cannot heal.

I'm not sure this would appeal to you, but nowadays there are animal communicators who offer their services in helping people get in touch with the spirits of their dead or missing animals. This of course is not for everyone, and some communicators are far more reputable than others. I offer this simply as yet another resource you may want to explore.

See, for example, the Daisy Sutra page on my Grief Healing Web site; I've exchanged e-mails with author Helen Weaver and she is wonderful. Her book is about her original intention of writing a memoir of her dog Daisy who had died, which eventually evolved into describing what happened as she found a number of gifted animal communicators who helped her communicate with her dog. Three communicators about whom she speaks most highly are Penelope Smith, author of Animals: Our Return to Wholeness, telephone 415-663-1247, Web site www.animaltalk.net; Teresa Wagner, 916-454-0308, Web site www.animalsinourhearts.com; and Carol Gurney, 818-597-1154, Web site www.animalcommunicator.net.

You may want to explore their Web sites to see if any of this interests you. (You'll find many others listed on my site's Alternative Healing page.) You'll also find several threads of past discussions on this topic by some of our own members; simply type the words "animal communication" in our "Enter Words to Search" box at the top of our main page, and see what comes up for you.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

My name is Lynda and I lost my little chihuahua of 13 years while my husband was in the hospital having brain surgury. It wasn't enough that my husband was having a second surgury for cancer that my little dog came up missing. I did every thing possible to find him and going to the hospital for 3 weeks. I was devistated. He was my comfort zone and I loved him dearly. 4 months later my husband passed away. This has been very hard for me.

Tears

Hi Lynda I can understand your pain, I lost my 16 year old Prince 3 weeks ago, then I just lost my aunt who was like a mother to me. Her funeral arrangement started a big fight in the family and I had to deal with all of them and I had just lost my Prince. My aunt was born mentally disabled and not suppose to live pass 17 years old she was 75 when she died on January 9th. Prince started to have seizures and I had to put him down on December 21st. So I understand your pain and not knowing where you dog is so hard on you.

Misty