Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Remembering Funny Xmas Moments Or Gifts

AnnieO

I don't know why this popped into my head,but today I remembered a funny Xmas gift my mom gave me. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was. Years ago during college, everyone was wearing those wool, crew neck sweaters with your initials on it. My mom got me an apple green one (favorite color) with navy intitials. I opened it up and loved it, but then started to laugh, my mom had accidently put her initials on it! She was so shocked, we laughed so hard. Years later, she got me a gold ring with my initials on it. and once again, accidently put hers on it! I laughed out loud today when I remembered the moment she realized she had done it again, what a wonderful memory. If anyone else had a funny Xmas gift or Xmas memory of their loved one and would like to share it, I would love to hear it.

That is a funny story, Annie. My story is about a Christmas gift from my best friend, but the funny part happened several weeks after Christmas. I am a big Monty Python fan and a few Christmases ago my friend gave me a Black Knight doll, which had removable limbs that were attached with Velcro. I took it to my office at school and hung it on my bulletin board. One day one of my students came into the office, saw the doll and said, “Professor _______ uses the Black Knight philosophy when she grades our exams: None Shall Pass!”

If you are not familiar with the Black Knight, here is the scene from The Holy Grail:

Mike

Annie,

I thought your post was so funny. And Mike, I loved Monty Python. (We're kind of known here in the cities for Spamalot.) I watched the clip without sound and laughed 'cuz I knew all the words. Great reminder. I was sitting here staring off into the distance trying to think of a funny gift. I'm sure there had to be one in there. My daughter asked me what was up because I looked "weird" so I must have been thinking pretty hard. Nothing came to mind, but had to tell you thanks for the smiles!

Kath