Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Everyone Is Terrified

I can see this now.

If "I," with some awareness of self and self "within" is having this much difficulty, other family members must be completely bereft and functioning solely out of knee-jerk response (a sad distortion).

I don't "need" anything in terms of Stuff that Belonged to Mom and Dad.

My own mortality feels so near. Surely, I am more aware of the fragility of life, and the need to move through with minimal encumbrances ... and a strong sense for letting go and opening to the every spiraling presence of imagination and self.

I hope this makes sense.

May we all come into a greater experience of peace and goodwill.

Temmie

It makes perfect sense, and it's a powerful insight, Temmie. In the end, it's all in how we choose to look at things, isn't it? You are discovering one of the most important lessons in loss ~ that everything in this earthly life of ours is transitory and temporary . . .

Hi All,

I know now since my parents have died, that you can take nothing for granted and to live each day to the fullest because no one is promised tomorrow... God decides who is born and when you die... I know that most of my days I try to live to the fullest but sometimes get caught up in the past...Take Care Shelley

My own mortality feels so near. Surely, I am more aware of the fragility of life, and the need to move through with minimal encumbrances ... and a strong sense for letting go and opening to the every spiraling presence of imagination and self.

You make perfect sense. After my nephew died, just before Christmas, everything stopped. I didn't feel the need to give senseless gifts or even hope that something would come my way. It was like that for all of us. We had a holiday filled with hugs and tears and being together, because of the sudden and painful lesson that was bestowed on us. "Stuff" didn't matter. The need in my own life to declutter and toss not only feels freeing, but necessary.

I also feel my time here is limited. I've been buying tons of insurance so my kids and my stepdaughter will not be burdened with debt or worries. I've lived first hand the gut-wrenching struggle of grief and that is enough of a burden for anyone. I have this urgency to get my ducks in a row...all that is left is to find a lawyer and draw up a will. Death changes us. I've always been sensitive to others that I've encountered. I don't hold back any longer. If I appreciate something, I let them know. If they are down, I look them straight in the eyes and smile. I talk to strangers. It embarrasss my kids, but I don't want any opportunities to pass. I don't turn away..even the bellringers for the Salvation Army...if I couldn't put anything in the bucket, I told them "thank you" for doing what they were doing. Life is short. I feel this urgency to make the most of it.