Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Photo Album For Grandchildren (And Myself)

Today I actually got out my photo albums from the last 19 years and went through them and pulled out a lot of relevant photos of John and I and John and the three grandsons over the years. And yes, I cried at times but not the whole way through this. Trying to figure out what year a certain photo was taken was such a challenge that I got distracted from the sadness at times!

Of course many of these photos were taken in the "old days" when you took a roll of film to the pharmacy and had it developed. And somewhere along the way they stopped putting the date onto the printed photograph like they used to do.

So I am looking at babies and toddlers and judging their ages at the time, then reconstructing which Easter or Halloween or Thanksgiving or Christmas it is. Kind of an interesting challenge in its own way.

My intention is to create a single album which I will keep handy so when the boys come over to visit they can see the progression of both the relationship between John and I and their own part in that relationship. Next I will need to go onto my "old" computer - the one hooked up to a printer - and print out copies of photos that are stored there on the hard disk.

When I put it all together I hope to have each picture dated.

Oh, and here's a good "grandchild" story: At John's funeral we had two large photograph boards. And there were some photos from when we first got together as a couple, and even one photograph taken of us at a party years before we were ever "a couple". My oldest granson (11)was standing there intently studying the photo board when I came over and sat down in a chair right next to the board. The next words I heard were "Hey, R___, look how skinny Grandma used to be!" And I answered "Yes, honey, Grandma used to be skinny." And he turned his head with a striken look on his little face and said "Oh, Grandma! I'm sorry! I thought you were R______!" (His brother) So I answered "That's okay, honey! Almost every Grandma used to be skinny when they were young."

Oh, out of the mouths of babes,

DeeGee

I am trying to write down some good memories, as well. Photos are still difficult to look at.

Korina

I had intended t make my girls a hardbound book of their dad from beginning to end

for Christmas but I can't look at the pictures so I think it will have to wait

until next year. I wanted them to remember all of what he was.

I do hope I get it done someday.

FWIW: Yes, it was difficult at first to look at the photos. But what I found as I continued along, it was less difficult and I actually got some pleasure out of doing it. So yes, I was crying at first. But I guess somewhere inside myself I really wanted to get this done so I would have it here for the boys.

Part of the reason I wanted to get it ready now is that I am concerned about the memories the older boys (9 and 11) will have, because during the last months of his life John was so sick that the boys did not see him all that much. Not like they had previously. And then there was the funeral, which they attended the evening viewing and the actual funeral services the next day.

I want to have them perhaps replace the funeral memories or at least enhance the funeral memories with the photos of each of them together with John at happy events throughout their young lives. Does this make any sense?

DeeGee

I made my children and my spouses mom and dad and brother and sisters a video tribute. I put it to music and pictures were from Christmases and camping and him working and our vacations up to his parents cottage . I put each category to a specific song that i picked out. It turned out real good. It was hard going through the pictures. I cried each time i played it to see if it was how i wanted it to be. My son was getting a little upset with me. mom your crying again . Why are you doing this. Because i wanted and needed to. The songs weren't sappy sad but good. He worked with large machinery and one of the songs i put in was mighty machines. He would watch the show Saturday mornings. I'm also writing in a journal things that i say to him and things that were did together that made me laugh or cry or be mad. I'm writing less and less now. Its only been 8 months. I think one day im not mad at him anymore and then the next day i am. Go figure. Brenda

Actually, in regards to pictures, for Scott's funeral and his memorial, I had a bunch of photos put together for a slide show. A friend set them to music. They are beautiful, but I am reduced to tears pretty much every time I watch the show... I miss him so very much. If anyone is on facebook, a portion of these photos can be found at the "In Memory of Scott Houghton" site.

Korina