Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hello Friends,

As I approach the evening of New Year's Eve I cannot help but remember how my Tom loved to stay home that night. Once in a while we would go to a party at a friends, but he must have had some horrible teenage memory of a "bad' New Year's, as he believed it was good to wake up in your own house for the first day of the year.

CBC radio usually does a countdown of the 'best' music, as they see it. We would cook a special dinner, toast one another and then push the coffee table back and dance in the living room. Just Tom and I and the CBC! I remember this with so much love. We always liked to dance together. In our jeans.

And so tonight as I spend it alone, I will raise a glass to Tom and toast his wonderful memory and hope that we can dance in my dreams tonight.

To all of, I hope you can move forward with some sense of peace this year. I hope that I can too. That we can find joy in things we do and also "cry if ya want to". Bless you all.

Valley

Just got done with the "cry if ya want to". I am sure it won't be the last time tonight, Decided to stick with my orginal plan of forgoing being with others tonight and spend it here. Really glad I am honoring my feelings on this night and just being......hope, faith, comfort, and blessings wished for all of you on this night of nights and in the year ahead. Debbie

oh Valley, thanks for sharing your NYE memories with us.

Cliff and I would celebrate with a big kiss, and just hold each other for a bit, afirework or two, a cocktail, bubbles or something, usually at home with friends, the last one was just us alone.

The tears will flow at midnight. I shall light a candle, raise my glass to him and speak to him.

Then I will pop next door for a while before bed.

Happy New Year to you and all here ... may it bring us peace, strength and may our happiness increase with each month of the year

xx

Valley - just did my crying, too - a hard one. Tomorrow's 18 months, plus our wedding anniversary. I'm already drinking the wine, but finding it hard to celebrate. We would usually be in bed way before 12, but half the time I'd wake up, or Joe would wake up and give each other a kiss for the new year. This second year really, really sucks. I'm sorry to hijack the good thoughts - I've been missing you, and I'm glad to see you post, my friend. Love and hugs, Marsha

Hello my friends, After reading the first few posts, I realized we have all chosen to spend this night alone. Strange we all made that choice. I guess I can say "ditto" to most of your posts. I too will raise my glass at midnight. And my crying has just started. Love to you all as we enter 2010

Hi Everyone,

I had a good cry this morning.I ordered Chinese food because that is what my husband and I did every year.It wasn't the same.Sometimes you can't go back only with your memories.I wanted to keep it quiet tonight but I hope I am able to go visiting tomorrow. I still have to take one day at a time after almost 18 months.I still hurt but not as bad as the first year.

It is very comforting to see all the names posting today and into the night.

I will say a special prayer that 2010 will be more peaceful and our grieving will be less and less as the days go on.

Take care everyone.

Mary Lou

I too am on my own tonight. We spent the last 10 years on New Years by going out with the same friends for Chinese food, then to a movie then back to our house for midnight toast. I am trying to pretend it is just another night and I have no intention of being awake at midnight. The friends we spent all those special nights with haven't even called since days before Xmax, nevermind ask me to join them in our traditional New Year's...so I use the word friends loosely. I doubt I would have gone but it would have been nice to be asked. My family are all busy doing their thing and my son is out of town for New Years...he sent me a text today to tell me to drive out and spend the night with them but I told him I would be okay so that is what I will be for him "okay". Crying is okay, tears are badges of love.

I think friends and family know we would like to be alone with our thoughts for this night. I realize my friends and family are doing exactly what they want to do so why not let us choose. I think we know the answer...doing OUR thing. I've got his ROMA (italian) sweatshirt on, his cologne is lingering in the bedroom, and hopefully I'm going to stay awake until midnight and drink to US.

I have spent New Year's Eve with my parents, brother, and of course, Kailyn. We had a nice dinner and then watched a movie. Toasted Scott at midnight, plus his aunt who just passed away yesterday. To a better 2010... Tears will likely come as the lights go out. We almost always stayed at home on New Year's, as we never really enjoyed going out on that evening. We all miss you, Scott.

Korina