Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Depressed And Overeating-Gained 35 Lbs Since Dad's Death

Eteh

I find myself eating constantly until I feel sick. I know this isn't healthy, nor is the weight gain associated with it. Has anyone else experienced this as a way of coping? I need to find a way to stop overeating. I feel like I have no power over this and it's actually making the depression worse. I feel like I want to cry all the time. thanks for reading. eteh

I also used food as a comfort and my excuse was that life is too short and I couldn't care at the time. I have not control, etc... Then I decided to try looking at eating healthy, exercising was something in this life that I can control and use a stress reliever. It took me several months to get there, but I did... I use sparkpeople.com sometimes to track my food/exercise -- help with focus

Eteh, sending you some hugs. I did the 'got too thin' thing and am currently in the 'gained too much' category. Maybe sign up on a weightloss forum for accountability and support? I'm getting ready to start a healthy diet including exercising. If you're interested maybe we could support eachother. I hope today is going well for you.

Jane

Hey Eteh,

Just sending you some hugs ((((((( ))))))). I am very sorry for your loss of your Dad. It is not unusual to overeat or undereat after losing a loved one. But if I may offer you a suggestion, I would say to try to exercise if possible. It will help a little and maybe help you not to gain weight if you are overeating.

Thanks so much for all of the help and support. I really should try to exercise. I also started going to OA and am talking to a social worker at the hospital about my grief. I think it's really important to take action and to reach out. I hate feeling like I want to cry all the time. Staying connected to people on here and sharing with eachother seems to really help me. thanks again.