Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sleeping Is An Issue For Me

I don't go to be until 12:30-1 AM and wake up several times during the night.

I have tried to go earlier however can't sleep so get up.

Last night went to bed at 12:30 took a while to get to sleep, woke up at 4 could not get back to sleep so finally at 5 got up and was putting more garbage out in the dark (garbage pick up today). Then I watched some TV and finally went back to bed at 7:30 for a couple of more hours.

This is typical of every night...any suggestions??

Thanks Allana

Allana,

I took sleeping pills just after my husband's death, but kept waking up after four hours or so and couldn't get back to sleep. Now, after my doctor's suggestion, I take about 10 mg of Melatonin - a natural sleep hormone. You can get it over the counter in the states and in Canada, but here in Norway I have to have a prescription.

It has worked very well for me. I take it about an hour before bedtime and sleep through the night. It's nine weeks since I lost my husband, so it could be I'm settling easier at night, but I do think the Melatonin works, and it's good to get off the sleeping pills.

Melina

It does work. Melatonin is what your body makes in abundance as an infant and not enough when you age. Make too much and it's called narcalepsy and not enough is insominia. It's natural and safe. No bad effects. I take it most nights to fall asleep faster. I dream more as it's wearing off.LindaKay

Allana,

There have been a number of very good posts in these forums about finding solutions to sleep disorders. Use the search feature! I too had trouble getting normal sleep in my first months of grief, but I did resolve the problem. I started to get regular exercise. No major work-out, just biking or swimming for a half hour to an hour several times a week. Even going for walks is enough to get our limbs to start moving, pick up our heart rate, and relieve nervous tension.

Anyway, exercise helped me a lot, and I hope it can be of help to you.

Ron B.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I know that my therapist also encourages exercise Ron B.

It has only been a month and I have a hard time with motivation. I hope that I will get to the point that I can get outside and walk...It is hard to get out of the house..I do most days but it is an effort and it is later in the afternoon.

Thanks again for all your support!

Allana

Exercise is good, but not right before bedtime if you're having insomnia. Try Sleepytime Tea, soft music, routine, going to bed same time every night, relaxation techniques, Yoga, winding down before bedtime, no caffeine.