Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hyper-Sensitive To Goodbyes

starby

Dos anyone else find they are hyper sensitive to anything remotely connected to loss or endings?

I had a frightneing experience today. I was sitting in a cafe reading the paper where it was interviewing Ashley from Coronation Street (a British soap) whose character had recently been killed off. I can't remember his real name but the actor was talking about leaving The Street and what a priveledge it had been to be part of it. I think it triggered the upcoming goodbye with my therapist and all the other losses because I suddenly came over really sick and faint, I could hardly breathe and really thought I was going to pass out. My heart was pounding and I was shivering, it was the most awful feeling. I'm now home but still shivering all over and feel like crying. I'm shocked at how something apparently so unconnected (I don't even watch Corrie, for starters!) could trigger something so powerful in me.

Starby,

For sure I understand this as I have experienced it many times. Not so much now though as I have been on this journey for some time now. I think it be quite normal to be "triggered" by somewhat benign other events, sounds, smells to our own loss. Just now, you are completely normal. For myself, I had to get professional help as I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress. When "triggers" happen now, I feel it but it does not have the same impact on me anymore at all.

Courage and Blessings, Carol Ann

Starby, Do you watch eastenders? When Billie died it was exactly the same as my dad and I was hysterical and down for days thinking about it!! And when I see how people treat Carol I always feel so connected like people do that to me!! And it makes me angry, even though its just a programme! I know that's not really related because its actually about death sorry! But it makes sense that you would be hyper-sensitive, although at the beginning I think I was the opposite and it made me angry when people made a big fuss about something ending (such as leaving a programme) because I would think thats not even a big deal hes not even REALLY dead! But now I get what you mean, its a trigger even though its something trivial it represents the ending of so many things

Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts and experiences. I'm glad I'm not alone with this. Carol Ann I'm pleased you don't find that things have such an impact now. Hello - no I don't watch Eastenders but a few years ago I watched Corrie when Vera died and I sobbed hysterically all night. I hadn't experienced any major grief myself but I have always had problems with loss, so I absolutely know where you're coming from. I still remember watching Vera's funeral and the look on Jack's face as he studied Vera's coffin - a felt a bloe to my chest as if I'd been stabbed. Very hard. I'm sorry you're experiecing so much pain.

I am sensitive to goodbyes as well right now.

Last week I was reading a story about a Chicago Cubs catcher who was active in the 1960s who passed away. I was not even a Cubs fan, but the whole story brought up a lot of old feelings about how my long-deceased father and I used to talk about baseball and watch the games and there was a longing for wanting to be there with my father as a kid again, and sadness that another great player has moved on. Really surprised me.

Also, a few weeks ago, I ended a temporary situation of working with some elderly people. I was at a total loss for words and could not bring myself to say goodbye to any of them. I just said I will try to stop on by later. It has only been a little over two months since my mother passed on.