Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If anyone wants a good cry (ha ha) listen to Julie Miller's two albums "Broken Things" and "Blue Pony". There are so many songs there that speak of grief and healing. I listen to them sometimes when I just want to feel understood. Strange - but true.

My favorites are "All my Tears", "I know why the river runs" and "By way of sorrow".

Melina

Dear Melina,

Thanks for sharing these songs. I myself find that music can be very cathartic for my healing. A friend recently shared a song with me that thought depicted where I am at in my journey. And it is the song "Cool Change" by the "Little River Band" Her is a you tube link if you or anyone cares to hear it.

http://youtu.be/eVbH22ymiEM

I am so at home by the water, in the water, and Melissa was the same. I am at a place in my path where it is time for a "Cool Change". Courage to you Melina.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

No, Melina ~ No subscription is required. Just scroll down to the end of the Grief Songs page, until you see the comment box. It is labeled Leave a Reply. Put your name and email address in the appropriate boxes (no need to add a Web site address; just skip that one), and in the larger white box, place the name of your song, along with artist and the link to the song on YouTube. Use the other posts there as a model for how to word your own post. (If you see a pop up window inviting you to subscribe to Self-Healing Expressions newsletter, just "X" it out to close it, and you should be on the Grief Songs page.) Let me know if this does not work for you.

Here are the youtube links to a few of the songs I was talking about. I will try to post them on that other site, Marty.

The only youtube links I could find were those that someone had added a lot of depressing pictures for illustrations, along with Jesus pictures. But just listen to the songs - that's the important part. The first song was written by Julie Miller, but I couldn't find it sung by her. So this one is sung by some other person. Now I can't even remember who.

My husband liked classical music the most, and now I find I can't bring myself to listen to anything in that genre. I wonder when I'll be able to do that.

Thanks for the song tips Carol Ann and Nicholas. I listened to both.

Melina

This song was played at my husband's funeral. It was also played at my brother's funeral four years ago, after he committed suicide. It's sad, but uplifting at the same time. It's Somewhere over the Rainbow, by the Hawaiian singer Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole. I see someone has already put it on the Grief Songs website.

Melina

When Pauline passed away, I put together a memorial for her. I also made a DVD movie of over 260 pictures I scanned into the computer, the into Photo shop essentials, then into windows movie maker. I added 8 songs. Using a light scribe DVD burner I burned on light scribe discs photos of her and me. I was just going put them into a vinyl sleeve. But that was not good enough for Pauline. I went to staples and bought slim cases and a good heavy photo paper. I made a DVD case cover and a inside cover listing the songs she like. Her are the songs Pauline favorites. Good thing I had most of the pictures in movie maker because I got real sick for 2 weeks. By the time I got feeling better I had just one week to finish the movie and burn the discs. I also made a photo album of photos from her as a baby up until the last year of her life. I took our 52" flat screen to the place where we had the memorial and used the computer to play the movie. I burned 22 DVD,S to give to family and her 2 closest friends. It was a lot of work but well worth it. Pauline would have been so proud of me, because the computer was her thing. Her link to the outside world. I have played it so many times over the 3 months.

Songs On DVD

1: In My Life by Judy Collins

2: Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground by Willie Nelson

3: Hallelujah by K.D. Lang

4: Walk In Jerusalem by Mahalia Jackson

5: Amazing Grace by Judy Collins

6: Going Fishing by Leftover Salmon

7: Shanty by Jonathan Edwards

8: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash

9: Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground by Willie Nelson

God Bless

Dwayne

What great songs. Many I love, some I do not know yet. I might make a CD of some of these.

Melina, my husband was also a classical music person and so am I. So far (14+ months) I have not been able to pull out Mahler or Brahms or the others. We used IZ at his funeral...In This Life. This fall I will attempt to start attending concerts again...not sure how that will go. Classical was our favorite though I like others also. I wish you peace today. Everyone.

mfh

We also were to have played 'Over the Rainbow" by IZ at Lars' Celebration of Life. It was the last song and we were waiting for it when IZ comes on talking about trying to breathe and dying. The director didn't bother to check the CD's and hit #13 instead of #14.There was no apology to anyone, just the music turned off and she came in and told us to proceed out to the lunch room. I cannot listen to any of IZ's music anymore and I love his music.

She was fired the day after we put in a formal complaint, and I truly couldn't be happier.

Lainey

For Jeff's services we played a song by Nick Lachey - Ordinary Day. It was actually a song that Jeff and I had seen performed on an Oprah episode a few years ago, it was made to go along with a Mitch Albom book - For One More Day. Of course when it came out we had no idea that Jeff was going to be diagnosed with cancer.....but I remember the discussion we had after we heard the song. That if anything ever happened to either one of us, it would be the "ordinary" days that we would miss the most. And wow, that couldn't be more true.

My daughter also put together a slideshow to this song and posted it on youtube, I think I had posted it a while back.

• 2 weeks later...