Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Need Help With Grief

This is my first time posting, I lost my mother August 8, 2010 and it feels like it happened yesterday. I am stuck and am having a really hard time dealing with my grief. For most of the past year I've thrown myself into my work and put off dealing with my feelings. Now that the anniversary if her death is appraching (just one day after my birthday) I'm spiraling into a tailspin. I would like to see a counselor who specializes in berevement, I met with someone a few times but she just wanted to talk about her mother and how ancestry.com helped her connect with her family and that is about all we discussed the entire hour. I was wondering if anyone has met with a berevement counselor and if there was anyone in the phoenix area they would recommend?

Krissy, dear, I'm so sorry about your mom, but good for you for recognizing and acknowledging your need for support in your grief journey! I just picked up your message, and in time I'm sure you'll hear from several of our members who will give you feedback about their experiences in seeing a bereavement counselor ~ but since you're in the Valley, I wanted to encourage you first thing tomorrow morning to contact the Bereavement Services at Hospice of the Valley, 602-530-6970. The wonderful folks there can put you in touch with several counselors in private practice who specialize in bereavement ~ and I promise that you'll have a much more positive experience with one of them than you've had so far!

HI KRISSY, SO SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN! I LOST MIKE ON 5/9/11 AND HAVE FOUND MY BEREAVEMENT COUNSELOR MARY JO ( i live in the phoenix area also)INVALUABLE FOR REASSURANCE THAT I AM DOING ALL I CAN DO TO STAY HEALTHY THROUGH THIS PROCESS....have also found that staying in touch with others here on this site has been an incredible resource for support and encouragement in between counselor visits, have you gone to any grief support groups? That may be a positive thing for you! Good Luck ! Dave

Hi Krissy,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is a painful journey and I am glad you found all of us here. We will support you. We are all grieving from various losses. I lost my husband, the love of my life 15 months ago. This group has been very helpful as they are all in the same boat. It is wise of you to seek face to face help also. I did some grief counseling for a while and it was very helpful. Keep posting. You will get support. Mary