Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost My Mother

Hello, i just lost the most important person in my life. My dear mother passed away a little over two months ago and it's been the most painful thing that i've ever been through in my life. My brother and i were with her in hospice for twelve days until we watched the life pass from her. I can't get that image out of my head. I wake with it and go to sleep with it. I felt that I was doing good with handling my grief but sometimes i think maybe i just need to talk more about how i'm feeling.

I also lost my mother a little over two months ago. Like you she was everything to me. I was also there holding my moms hand when she passed. That was tough but I'm extremely happy I was there with her till the end. I couldn't stand the thought of her dieing alone.

It's an up and down thing. I start thinking things are starting to look up and bam I get nailed with a couple real hard days. I talk a little with my father but my mother was the one I shared everything with. This board gives me and outlet to let loose some of my inner thoughts. I imagine we will always have bad days here and there but we are in the early stages and it will take time for the good days to outnumber the bad days. It's a very rough confusing time right now! I guess all we can do for now is hang onto the good days and focus on the good thoughts of our moms!

DLynn, I'm so sorry. I lost my mom almost 8 months ago (I can't believe it's been that long already) and the pain does definitely lessen with time. I remember having a really hard time getting all of the awful images out of my head in the very beginning -- it was all I could think about! Now those images come less and less, and they're not as vivid. I too was there holding my mom's hand as she passed away, and I don't think I will ever forget that moment, but I'm glad it's not all-consuming now like it was before.

It's cliche, but there are good days and bad days. I've learned not to beat myself up about the bad days. It's OK to cry and be sad. People who haven't experienced a loss like this will probably not understand, but that's OK too. I try to ignore those people because they usually just make me more upset.

Erin

I lost my Grandma 3 months ago (she was like my mom - she was my best friend - she was amazing) - and it is the same here. I didn't get to be there the moment it happened but I got there not long afterwards - and I was there the two days leading up to her death. I still can't get the feeling of how her arm felt when I hugged her. I miss her everyday and cry every day.

This board helps a lot - people here are going through the same thing we are - and that helps. Hugs - I am so sorry for your loss.

Dlynn58, I am sorry for your loss.

I was in the room when my mom passed away. The paramedics were working with her when her heart stopped. For a long time that was the image in my head and all I could focus on. It's almost seven months now and the image is not the dominant one. Instead I have happier memories that come to mind when I think of my mom, which is most of the day.