Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Eddie Ferret

ferretfan

Yesterday we lost our beloved ferret Eddie, he was 6 1/2 years old. We had him since he was about 6 months old from a rescue centre and every single day since then he filled our lives with total joy. We took him to the vet after noticing his tummy was a bit swollen a few days ago and he was sadly put to sleep after they discovered a tumor which had grown extremely fast , the vet x-rayed him and decided to have a look inside but couldn’t do anything, so he stayed asleep and gently passed, we were there with him.

Even though I am fortunate enough to strongly believe that our animals stay with us in spirit, I miss picking him up and cuddling him, the feel of his fur and the noises he made. We know that he was happy and full of fun right to the end, he didn't know he had anything wrong and that's a comfort, but it doesn't make me miss him any less.

I am so glad I found this forum, reading the other posts has let me know I am not alone and that there are other people out there who think the same way I do. Thank you.

Gem.

I'm sorry about your ferret, a friend of mine had ferrets and they brought her immense joy too. I'm glad you had a few good years together before you lost him, it is hard no matter when it is. My heart goes out to you in your loss.

Kay

Thinking of you today...I know the loss is there, and there is a ferret shaped hole in your heart as you try to get through today. Have you done anything to memorialize him? Did you bury him somewhere or have him cremated? Have you made an album with pictures of him in it? Sometimes it helps to do something for them after they die to show the value we place on them. For instance, when my dog, Fluffy, died, we buried him in our back yard and erected a cross on which we inscribed his favorite words: GO, TREAT, GOOD BOY, etc. Some people donate to a cause in that person or animal's name. Whatever it is that you do, you will know what is right for you.

Hi and thank you! Yes we are having him cremated, should get his ashes back next week, I had one of my cats and my other lovely ferret George cremated too and it is such a comfort to get them home. We have been looking at photos and video clips of Eddie and have tried to remember the years of good times rather than the few hours of bad ones. The house just seems so quiet without him and there is certainly a huge hole left behind. Thank you for thinking of me. x

Well we had a 'nice' surprise today, Eddie's ashes came back, it has only been a few days since he passed and usually it takes at least 10 days to get the ashes so I am pleased - he is home now both physically and in spirit. It seems silly but I took his little casket around the house to all his favorite places, and now 'he' is sitting on my desk next to me while I type. It is like by having his physical remains (hate that word) with me again his body and soul are reunited here and I do feel more at peace, although I will always miss feeling his body in my arms. I am able to cuddle one of his toys, it was looking at me yesterday so intently, I wondered if Eddie's spirit was saying 'I'm here, give me a cuddle because I miss it too' :)

I'm glad you got his ashes back, and I can understand how comforting that must be. Ferretts are such lively little creatures, I can imagine it's a huge adjustment not hearing him scurrying around the house.

Thank you so much MartyT and kayc - the house is very quiet, mind you I am talking to him just like I used to so it isn't too bad all the time, it is really comforting reading other peoples posts here about losing their animal family members, a lot of people don't 'get it' so to know my views are shared is great. :)