Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Beloved Oliver

anneuk

I lost my best friend 14-11-2011 - three short days ago. He was a wonderful Shih Tzu, 14 years old and my constant companion. He had congestive heart failure for 14 months and I did every thing I could to give him a quality of life. Monday morning I knew he's had enough and called the vet to my house. It was a peaceful passing, but I am distraught. Oliver was there for me when I lost my Husband seven years ago, and I swear he saved my sanity - and now I have nothing, no purpose, just an empty hollow feeling. I know it will ease - it did with Stan, I think you never get over but do learn to live with the loss. But, at this moment I just want his warm body and cute ways. I've been a wheelchair user for 20 years and he just instictively knew when to side step and he was a propoer lap dog. Over the last few years I don't think he was ever more than a metre away from me - and now the space is so so empty. I loved him more than the world, and I beleive Stan will have him now and I will see them both when my time comes. I just feel so so alone

post-15304-132153725465_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry you lost your constant companion and best friend...he's adorable, and I'm glad you had him as long as you did. He was lucky to be in a home where he was so cared about! I too lost my husband, 6 1/2 years ago, and after my dog passed away four years ago, I got a new one 3 1/2 years ago and he is the joy that keeps me going, my best friend and everything to me, so I understand how you feel about your beloved dog. I'm sorry, I hope the good memories will continue to bring a smile to you even though the ache is inside of your heart.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh you are not alone. There are so many of us out here sharing your grief. I didn't get to meet your dear Oliver but I can tell from his picture he was a little champion. I lost my dear Marley just 5 days ago. I am so overwhelmed with grief. You are further along in this process than I (by 11 days I believe) but I'm not sure that makes a difference. The pain of losing them will always be there but I look forward to the day that I can talk about my wonderful Marley and laugh about the good times. It will happen for you too. Can't even look at a picture of him yet but when I can, my house will be filled with pictures of him! We'll all get there some day. I hope you are feeling better soon. By the way, I love the name Oliver. It has special meaning to me. Not a dog, but a favourite horse. Hugs to you and your family. Marley's mom.

Dear Ones,

As I'm sure you've discovered by now, you've come to the right place to share your grief. We're all so sorry for your losses, and we certainly do share in your pain. Your posts about Marley and Oliver remind me of my dear friend Rita Reynolds, author of the beautiful book, Blessing the Bridge: What Animals Teach Us about Death, Dying and Beyond. She also had a beloved dog named Oliver; you can read the touching story of his peaceful passing here: Excerpt from Blessing the Bridge

I am so very sorry for the losses you have all experienced. I understand. I have an 8 year old Golden Retriever named Bentley. Bill and I got him at 8 weeks and he has been through the thick and thin of Bill's illness and death. For 20 months he has been my therapist, friend, connection to Bill, and more....I dread the day when I lose him so I do have a sense of what you are going through. I am so sorry. On occasion I look at breeds as if in preparation for the future. goldens live 12-14 years usually. I can not imagine life without a Golden and will get another when I have to say good-bye to Bentley. Someday you may do the same...when you are ready.

Peace

Mary

• 4 weeks later...
post-15304-132458435344_thumb.jpg Just thought I'd come back and tell you I am feeling much better I still miss Oliver so very much but I have a new companion - a ten week old shih tzu pup called Alex. He is a delight and has brought laughter back to the house. He will never take Oliver's place, but will be a little character of his own and will be showered with love. He is certainly hard work at the moment but such good fun. Thank you all for your caring messages - I'm sure Oliver would be glad to see me happy again.

Marley's Mom,

My condolences to you too, I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. Your grief is so fresh, it has to be hard, esp. around the holidays. My dog's name is Arlie...I know when his time comes it's going to be devastating to me, he's my life. I wish there were something I could say or do to make it better for you, but all I know to do is be here to listen if you want to talk. (((hugs)))

Kay

Anneuk,

I'm glad you got another dog and pray you both have much joy together in the years ahead!