Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Life And People

Just have to get this off my chest

Friends, musical artists and well meaning no-nothings exhort us to live like each day is our last.

Problem is.. our world is predicated on the notion of permanence.

We go to school to prepare for a future.

We save money for the future.

We marry for the future.

We have kids for the future.

But, sometimes there is no future.

And thats where the problem comes in.

We live our lives expecting a future for ourselves and those around us,but sometimes things go wrong.

So, the well meaning people around us,tell us" See, you cant count on tomorrow,so you have to live each day like it is your last" Which is ridiculous because if we all lived that way it would be chaos mayhem and bankruptcy.

I look at the world around me in a totally different way since Kathy died, oh so fast at 51 yrs old. I see a world of condemned prisoners, and noone knows when the hangman will come, or who he will take next.

Its just a huge crap shoot and I can never be comfortable again after seeing my beautiful wife, who was very health concious,get eaten up by cancer so fast.

I am not going to live each day like it is my last because I dont think my body or bank account would hold up for very long.

So, I tell them to save their breath when they feel the urge to lecture me on the fleeting nature of life.

It all makes for nice song lyrics, but the truth is,We live for the future, which really isnt ours, but we have to pretend like it is.

Thanks for the forum

Lance,

I am so sorry for your loss! I just lost my husband from cancer two weeks ago, and I watch how it took him down so quickly, too! Cancer is a horable thing, and my deepest sympathy goes out to you. What you said makes a lot of sense, we probably would wear ourselves and our bank accounts out very quickly, so take one day at a time and keep living for the future.

amw

I never really thought of it like that but you're so right. I don't really think about the future too far ahead any more. When George and I were alive we had so many dreams and plans but it all disappeared in an instant. Now I plan for my dog's life and don't really go much beyond that.