Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Cousin Is Dying

Hi All, I have a cousin who lives in Nova Scotia who is dying of ALS and it wife tells me that it will not be much longer... I would love to visit him but can not afford too... They tell me he will not live much farther than the end of this summer... I really feel awful for his family and wish I could be there to support them in anyway... He has a thirteen year old daughter and two sons that are in university... just pray for the family please and maybe a miracle will happen... shelley

Shelley

I am sorry about your cousin and that you can't be with the family at this time. I know that is very difficult for you. I wish you peace with this situation.

Mary

Thanks to everyone who replied to this,

I WISH I COULD TAKE HIS PLACE AND BE WITH MY MOM... I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW... I HAD TO GIVE UP THERAPY BECAUSE IT COSTS TOO MUCH AND THE PLACES OUT THERE THAT ARE CHEAPER ONLY DO IT ON A THREE MONTH TIME PERIOD...SHELLEY

Shelley dear, as I said to you in a personal message earlier, I hope you will consider going for the short-term, time-limited option, as I think something is better than nothing, and you may find it to be quite helpful after all. I'm so sorry that you're going through such a rough patch right now. We are thinking of you and keeping you in our hearts as you find your way through ~ and I hope it brings you comfort to know that you are not alone. We are always here for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I did make a phone call to the Durham Catholic Family Services and they told me that it could take up to three months before I could get a therapist... I am so upset I get so very low and feeling like I just want out....

Good for you to call. I hope you told them this is urgent and that you would come at the last minute if they have a cancellation. You might also try social services in your county as they usually offer free counseling services. We all have to keep on keeping on even when totally discouraged.

Peace

Mary

• 3 weeks later...

Shelly,

I'm sorry to hear about this. You might want to try calling them back again, sometime you get further with one person than another. Try a different day of the week/time.