Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Newer Site Problems Continue

Maylissa

Hi. Some other things I've come across that aren't working properly are the email notifications of responses in forums. Yesterday I got 6 notifications in a row, some of which I'd already been notified of the previous day or two, one other that sent me to the wrong thread thru the link, and a PM that superimposed itself overtop a thread. To read that one, I had to go to my "New Messages" control, rather than using the link that should have taken me there automatically. The 'smilies' still aren't working and only come up on a posting as the code for them, and still can't be viewed as icons, either...and yet the icons below the posting still work normally.

I still don't understand what some of the newer buttons are for, eg. the plus and minus signs at the bottom of the posting area, or the quote button versus the "reply" button at the right, bottom of the posting area. The quote seems to do nothing, and the "reply" puts the post in quote mode. I've just noticed the "wrap in a quote" icon up top here, so will try it next time, because the "reply" button also doesn't box the quote, but just uses the code for the quoted section - really messy-looking. I don't understand why [ call me stupid if you will! :-) ] why the "Check Post Length" button, since I was under the impression there was no word limit on posts. I simply haven't tried clicking it yet to see what it does, so if this is a stupid comment, please forgive me my ignorance!

As for other features, just haven't had the time to try some of them out.

Hi Maylissa,

I am experiencing some of the same problems you are, and I want you (and all who may be reading this) to know that each and every one of your questions and concerns has been forwarded to a technician in the Invision Power Customer Center. Not every problem gets addressed immediately, of course, but I think as you continue to visit the site, you will notice that changes and improvements are taking place, sometimes several times a day. We understand that these changes take some adjusting to -- and I'm sure you've already noticed that I am no computer whiz, either! I am struggling right along side of all of you as I, too, must learn the ins and outs of this new system. And like you, I would much prefer spending my time moderating these forums instead of learning all this "techy" stuff that I never wanted to know in the first place :P You've all been so kind and patient, and I hope you will continue to bear with us as we get all these kinks worked out.

Some other things I've come across that aren't working properly are the email notifications of responses in forums.

I am having the same problem, and it has been reported to IPB.

The 'smilies' still aren't working and only come up on a posting as the code for them, and still can't be viewed as icons, either...and yet the icons below the posting still work normally.

I think they're working for everyone now. If not, please let me know.

I still don't understand what some of the newer buttons are for, eg. the plus and minus signs at the bottom of the posting area, or the quote button versus the "reply" button at the right, bottom of the posting area. The quote seems to do nothing, and the "reply" puts the post in quote mode.

Here is our Help-Technician's explanation: "The +Quote button is used when quoting multiple posts. By clicking this button, it adds that post as a quote to your next reply. You can select multiple posts throughout the whole forum -- and the next time you click 'Add Reply' on a topic, those posts will be included." [i'm not sure I understand this explanation myself, and I will seek further clarification.]

I don't understand . . . the "Check Post Length" button, since I was under the impression there was no word limit on posts.

The maximum size of posts is adjustable; if we've set it too low we can always change it to a higher number. Right now it's set at 1000 kilobytes. My understanding is that there has to be some limit on the size of posts, as it will affect how quickly the message loads so it can be viewed.

As for other features, just haven't had the time to try some of them out.

I have not tried all the features, either, but as I come across a "bug" I'm keeping a list, which I forward to the hosting company regularly. That's why you're seeing all these additional changes as we go along, which is evidence that "they" are paying attention to all of us ;)

Marty,

Thanks for all your research! And glad to know I'm not the only one confused by the new-fangled thingamagigies! No, I don't quite understand the techy explanation for those quote buttons, either, though the first part makes sense.

Also have been trying to use the "wrap in a quote" button above the post area, but can't seem to get a box out of it no matter which way I try it. Maybe it's not even designed to do this anymore, for all I know! If you come across something that works, please let us know, as it look so much tidier when boxed.

I DO love the italicize, bold, underline and strike-out features now, though - SO much faster and easier with the newer method!

I also can't figure out if one can hide one's name at the bottom of the board when browsing or whatever. The "Help" section suggests you can use this option, but doesn't tell you how.

And I'm still wondering if there could be a Tutorial section added, to explain, in layperson's language of course!, how to use all the new features?

So far, the email notifications still aren't working the way they're supposed to. I know this is being worked on, just updating you.

And yes, good to see those ol' Smilies working again! ( although I think we could use one in the shape of a paw, for the Pet Loss forum! ) Speaking of which, any chance of changing the title to "ANIMAL COMPANION" Loss? With animal welfare groups trying to get laws changed, at least in the U.S., to strike the use of the word "owner" and substitute "animal guardian" legally, I find the term "pet" to be just as demeaning to the relationship we come here to grieve. We don't, after all, call our OTHER family members by such belittling terms...at least not the ones we love! :P

Thanks again for your diligence and oh-so-helpful ways on this board! :D

I also can't figure out if one can hide one's name at the bottom of the board when browsing or whatever. The "Help" section suggests you can use this option, but doesn't tell you how.

And I'm still wondering if there could be a Tutorial section added, to explain, in layperson's language of course!, how to use all the new features?

Speaking of which, any chance of changing the title to "ANIMAL COMPANION" Loss? With animal welfare groups trying to get laws changed, at least in the U.S., to strike the use of the word "owner" and substitute "animal guardian" legally, I find the term "pet" to be just as demeaning to the relationship we come here to grieve. We don't, after all, call our OTHER family members by such belittling terms...at least not the ones we love! :P

Hi Maylissa,

Here are answers to some of your questions; I am still working on the others!

1) How To Hide One’s Name

On the “Log In” page, where you log in to the site, on the left side are boxes where you plug in your user name and password; on the right side, you’re given two options, either of which you can check:

Remember me?

This is not recommended for shared computers

Don't add me to the active users list

Just place a check in the Log in as invisible box

2) Tutorial Section (in Layman’s Language)

A great idea – perhaps a project you’d be willing to undertake? Maybe you could consolidate all of your own “tutorials” that you’ve already posted in various forums here, keep adding to it as you discover problems and / or how to use various features, and we could post it as a sort of ongoing “Helpful Hints” for all our visitors!

3) Changing the Title of the Pet Loss Forum

As one who’s been active in the pet loss field for nearly 15 years, I completely understand and appreciate the points you raise, as I am well aware of the position of various animal welfare and animal rights groups on this matter of pets versus animal companions.

You will notice that in my own writing I tend to use the terms animal companion and pet interchangeably, because I think of the word pet as a term of endearment, and not at all as insulting, demeaning or belittling. I understand, of course, that this is a point on which many reasonable people can reasonably disagree – but I suppose that would be true of many other words as well. One person’s term of endearment could be felt as an insult to another, depending on the context, the intention of the speaker or writer and on how it is perceived by the receiver. Since the term pet is still so widely used in the literature and in our common language, however, I think when you’re reading or listening, it helps to factor in just how you think the individual speaker or writer is using the term.

When referring to people and their pets, I rarely use the terms owner or master, because I do understand and respect the human-animal bond, and I do see so many different kinds of animals as our partners, companions, healers, helpers, protectors, love objects, and guides. In that sense, I don’t believe that such animals are owned like any other piece of property. In my own writing, you will notice that I prefer to use the term animal lover instead. I’m not quite sure of the term guardian just yet, but maybe one day I will get there. :)

Because I work on the Internet so much, I’ve chosen to retain and use the term “pet,” particularly in titles such as that of our Loss of a Pet Forum. To help people find my sites and articles on the Web, I’ve been advised to use common terms that the average person is most likely to type into his or her browser’s search engine, and I’m told by Web designers that pet loss is more commonly used than companion animal.

I hope that answers, Maylissa, and in turn I thank you for your own “diligence and oh-so-helpful ways on this board!”

Love,

Marty

Marty,

Thanks again, Marty, for the help with this! I'm trying the 'invisible' thing, but it looks like there may be a problem with it remembering me, as I usually didn't have to log in ( as I'd checked the 'remember me' box, for convenience ), but after it said I was now logged in ( as invisible ) and I tried to post, it told me I wasn't logged in, so had to do so for a second time. We'll see how it works.

As for the tutorial, I'm afraid I don't have the time to do all that - it's enough just to post here - but if anyone wanted to take on the task, I give full permission to use those particular parts of my posts dealing with the ins and outs of this techy stuff.

Regarding the term 'pet', yes, I understand your reasoning and you made some valid points, especially the use of common terms for 'Googling' purposes - I never thought of that. I know ( of course I noticed ) you don't use the term in the negative way...one can usually tell who uses it which way. I don't have a great problem with it here - just a suggestion, as I happen to believe that language influences attitude, no matter what you're talking about. And unfortunately, having been fairly active with animal issues in the last decade, I know of too many who equate the word 'pet' with 'ornament/object for the home/image', which is why I've taken to not using that word personally if I can help it. Even 'guardian' isn't the best word, in my mind, although it does denote the responsibility we should have to animals we take in, but it's also a bit sterile. Sometimes the English language is just deficient.

• 1 month later...

As of Jan./06, I see there are still recurring problems with both logging-in and getting notifications of postings. I'm surprised these problems have lasted so long.

I find sometimes I don't have to log in, other times I do, but despite logging in ( and seeing my screen name shown up top ), more often than not, when I try to post, it doesn't remember me and I show up as a "Guest"....or as "Guest - Maylissa", if I've entered my name in the box above the posting section.

For notifications, it's still always a few DAYS late in sending a notice, and I even get notifications of posts I've made myself, but it will tell me someone else has replied - when I go and look, it's ME, not someone else. Also, lately, the box to check off notifications by email doesn't even appear before submitting my post, about 1/2 the time.

WHEN I FIRST JOINED IN ON THE POSTS I WAS RECEIVING NOTICE IF SOMEONE RESPONDED TO MY POST BUT NOW THERE IS NOTHING....JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD MY 2 CENTS WORTH.....

ALSO MOST OF THE TIME I DON'T HAVE TO LOG IN WHICH SEEMS STANGE......

THIS IS A WONDERFUL SITE HOWEVER...IT IS EASIER TO RELATE TO PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME HURT AS I.......

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR PROVIDING THIS FORUM FOR US....

FUNNYFACE