Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Canine Homemade Diet Information

mfh

Mary,

I do not cook the vegetables I give my dogs. I have a Ninja type blender and that is what I use to puree them. I need to add some of the ones you suggested as I generally only give green beans or kale, and then always add pumpkin.

I think it is an ongoing learning process. Even those who have fed a homemade or raw diet for years are always looking for something better!

Mary

Yes, I do believe this is life long learning and sorting out opinions.

I have a Nutri Bullet which is a power house to make smoothies. That should handle the veggies. The puree will also add some moisture to the meat which is 75% of the contents. I steer away from pumpkin as it gave him diarrhea once. I do use sweet potatoes but go easy on those.

Peace

I make my Kale Smoothie (raw) and it is very good, Arlie and Kitty love it too...

It has 3 cups Kale, 2 cups Celery, 1/2 jar applesauce, 1 banana, capful lemon juice, blended.

They also love my homemade boca burgers, made from black beans and vegetables and chicken broth, I brown in olive oil to help hold the patty together

Kay,

I wish that I was as good about our diet as I am my dogs'. Kale is supposed to be very good for both humans and dogs. Your smoothie recipes actually sounds good - guessing that the banana helps a lot. I'm kind of surprised your cat will likes it, too.

Mary

My cat thinks she's human.

• 7 months later...

I am having to make Arlie's food too as he's on bland diet for life.  Dogfood has put him overweight, even the healthy weight one, and he is finally losing (his vet says he should weigh 110, not so sure, but I'd be happy at 120) he was 140, weighed in at 135 nine days ago and I think he's lost since then.  He doesn't seem to be hungry or he'd be pawing at his old dogfood container or begging, but he's not.  He eats everything I give him and loves it.  I have him on rice, chicken breast, and vegetables.  I like your idea about pureeing the vegetables so they're raw.  Do you give him any Metamucil?  My vet suggested that.  I have Arlie on Probiotics all of the time.  I make up packets of vegetables and diced chicken & freeze, & when I cook the rice I add them to it.  

I've been trying to educate myself about canine homemade diets, I've learned a lot, plus I've learned that the "supplements" aren't as easy to figure out as it appears.  Some don't say how many mg calcium it supplies, and I know his needs, so I'm going to use eggshells.  I dumped a dozen eggs in a bowl and cleaned off the eggshells, cleaned out my coffeegrinder and set it to dry while I baked the eggshells at 300 for 10 min.  Then I ground the eggshells into a powder and put them in a small tupperware container in the refrig.  am hoping it'll last at least a week, we'll see.  The first time I used mortar and pestle and that's not so easy to get into a powder.  It has to be finely ground or it won't be absorbed.  I've been reading up on stuff all day today!  I'm also giving him Omega-3.  I'm using Flaxseed oil because I'm extremely allergic to fish and don't want the contaminate.  From what I've read Flaxseed oil contains even more nutrients.  

The doctor said to give him rice, also the canine nutritionalist I read on line specified brown rice, but Mary said that's a no-no for cancer, so am trying to figure this out.  They can have oats, but I'm not sure about Bentley.  Anyway, trying to get this down, it'll take some trial and effort I guess.  I also read NOT to give TOO much greens (it said why but now I forgot), but I figure if I give a variety it'll be better.  It said not so much of the nightshade, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes.  So much to learn!

But I am bound and determined to keep my dog healthy and alive as long as I possibly can!  I'm sure all of you can relate.  Esp. those who have already lost their dog.  We'd do anything for our babies!!  Man it's a lot of work for a dog this size though!  I'm pretty sure he's lost another five lbs., no way to weigh him w/o going to the vet but I can tell by looking at him and last time I guessed right, so I think he's about 130 lbs. now.  Want to get him between 110 and 120 but I don't want it going down too fast!

Kay,

Animal Essentials makes a calcium supplement called Seaweed Calcium.  Easier than messing with the eggshells.  There are a lot of different books on cooking for dogs.  There is one by Dr. Judy Morgan and also Dr. Karen Becker has one.  You can read reviews on them.  I don't have either but thought about getting them.  I think Dr. Morgan's book is mostly cooked food, not sure about the other.  I feed raw and use either already prepared or buy a meat/bone mixture and add in vegetables.  With the raw (as long as you're feeding bone also), you don't need to add in calcium.  If you are cooking though, you would.

Here is an article from Dogaware:

http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade3.html

Always good information there.

Mary

• Upvote 1