Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Physical symptoms.... when will it subside?

Yesterday was the fourth month since I lost my dad. He had a ruptured abdominal aneurysm. It was so sudden and no one had a chance to say goodbye. He was there one minute and gone the next. It's been a really hard four months. I've had crazy anxieties and am in physical pain almost always which makes me afraid of going out... I just want it to subside and it's frustrating. I feel like I'm unable to communicate with the rest of the family cause I feel like everyone's got their own emotions to deal with... what keeps me going is my Husband and kids. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad.  I lost my dad when I was 29 and pregnant with my first child.  It definitely helped me that I had a full life, yet over the years his absence was so noticeable...certain times I wish he could have been there.  He missed being there for the birth of his grandchildren and all of their milestones.  I've told the kids about him, of course, about his sense of humor, how much he would have loved and appreciated about them, but there are times when it just seems so unfair that we didn't get to have him in our lives!

Anxiety seems to go with grief, doesn't it?  Marty has some wonderful "tools" to help us in grief, I hope you'll explore this website.
http://www.griefhealingblog.com/2013/07/anxiety-attacks-in-grief-tools-for.html

• Upvote 1

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sandra. I too lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly when he died too soon of cardiac arrest. It's a shock that hits you like a ton of bricks, and it hits you more than once. Please know that anxiety and physical pain are not at all unusual reactions in grief, especially when a death happens like this. In addition to the reference that Kay has mentioned, I invite you to read these as well, if only to reassure you that what you are experiencing is normal under the circumstances:

Grief: Understanding The Process

Physical Reactions to Loss

Note that all of these articles include links to additional resources. 

You might find this lovely piece by Darcie Sims to be of some comfort as well: Goodbye to Goodbye  

• Upvote 2

I am so sorry for your lost. My dad passed away suddenly the same way. He was here one day and gone the next. Very unexpected. Not having closure and being able to say goodbye is tough. I try to focus on the good times we had, our relationship and love we had. Though I couldn't say good bye I find comfort in knowing that he knew how much I loved him.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry about your dad.....I did read the link on the "Physical Reactions To Grief".  I have had them and still have some of them.....I am coming up on the Year Anniversary of my Mom passing and I am feeling uneasy.  I guess what bothers me and maybe you too is whether or not I am normal and are these normal responses....I look at others and think wow they all seem happy, joyous and free.  How come I don't feel that way?  I hope healing and contentment arrives for all of us:)  Hugs