Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Euthanised our family dog

Chrissie4

Our beautiful toy poodle "Jesse" was 11 years old,  when I made the heart renching decision to have her euthanised on 31/10/2017.  She had been losing weight following up to the vet visit, I put it down to getting older and fussier so I changed her diet, she seemed to be ok. Therein lies the problem, I hesitated to take her to the vet there and then. The vet here is so expensive and I thought I could manage her at home. When it got to the point where she was becoming weaker I hand fed her chicken which she loves and again she seemed to pick up. Then we started to hear her breathing loudly, coming and going, I knew then it was serious. 

It was now an emergency trip to the vet, but all too late. The vet was cold and distant, looking back at him was not a healthy dog and I was immediately judged by him, he arrogantly suggested he could do tests on her to find our if she had diabetes or cancer, but the best thing to do according to his diagnosis was to have her put down. He said I'll do it now, you can come in and watch or I'll bring her body back to you for you to dispose of. The vet consult was less than 5 minutes. I knew Jesse had suffered because of my hesitation and I'll never know if she would've died anyway even with vet intervention, I keep telling myself there's nothing more you could've done for her she was dying. I think she was only hours away from dying " naturally" but I let her go to a horrible man and spend her last minutes with him. 

Looking back at how I was with her I know things could of been a lot better for her, had I managed her a lot earlier and gone to a vet without concerning about the cost. It's the terrible guilt I have been feeling, i know Jesse would not want me to feel this way, she had a good life with us, she loved being in the car with me and coming to work, her life won't be for nothing. We have another dog a retriever "Sasha" she has also been grieving her much loved buddy, she has been moping around looking very sad and lost. My focus is on her now and making sure her last years with us are the happiest and healthiest for her. 

Im not happy to just say to myself it's ok you couldn't of done anything else for Jesse, learning to do things better if there is a next time is the lesson out of this, and also euthanasia, if you do ever have to make that choice as a pet owner it should be made so much better through a caring vet that will also support you through the process. I will never know if Jesse could've been saved or if her illness was a death sentence, that's the hardest part also .  Jesse has left a legacy of love, acceptance, faithfulness and love, she was the best watchdog, so tiny but so protective. I will carry her with me in my heart always and pray that if there is another life after this I will see her again, and she is in a much better place now.

• Like 1

I am sorry for your loss.

I had to take my cat to a vet I'd never visited before to have her euthanized, but they were very nice.  They were the second place I called that morning,  The first place I called seemed kind as well, but wanted to do (and have me pay for)a complete exam for a 12-year-old cat diagnosed six weeks before with mammary cancer.  

If this was your regular veterinarian, I guess you'll be looking for a new one.  I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

Thankyou, and no he wasn't our regular vet he set up business here 18 months ago, I went to him because he was the closest vet to us, I wrote a very honest Google review after the experience we had, I would think most if not all Vets are trained in euthanasia including dealing with the stress of the pet owner. He was an exception, I will never step foot in his premises again or take my dog to him. He was all about profit. We have to travel a little bit to our regular vet but it's well worth it. Thankyou, I'm sorry for your loss also but glad you had a better experience than we did. 

I am so sorry for your loss, it is very hard, I know.  You're right to focus on your remaining dog and help her through her grief.

With the diabetes or cancer, she wouldn't likely have had long to live, I've seen too many instances of both and it seems the best one can do is make them as comfortable as possible in their remaining days, which you did.  I'm sorry you felt the emergency vet wasn't caring, that has been my experience with emergency vets but I'm sure there are many that are different.  Years ago I had a wonderful country vet that was so caring to the animals and their people, but that seems to be more a thing of the past.  I had a horrid experience five months ago at the vet's I've gone to for 40 years, I won't be back...they have been swallowed up by a huge corporation that only cares about money and it shows.  I have found another vet to go to, it's 1 1/4 hours away but it's worth it.

You are feeling guilty because you feel in hindsight that you should have thrown caution to the wind and gotten expensive tests done, but unfortunately money is a cold hard fact of life, one that we do have to consider.  These life or death issues are very very hard, we have to weigh the odds of their survival and how many years we might have left.  It's heartbreaking, I know of nothing harder, and then we wish we could have them back and have a go at it again.  I want you to know that guilt is a very common grief reaction, not because we deserve it or earned it, but because it's our way of trying to figure a different possible outcome...bottom line is, we want them back.

This article is one of the best I've read on it...
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf 

And this one:

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml 

Perhaps you can use a memorial as a way of helping you through this, by honoring your dog.  I've bought headstones to mark my pet's graves from personalcreations.com but many plant a rosebush or tree, something to commemorate their life.  I've seen others create a rock garden, or have a corner of the house where they have their belongings, pictures, poem, collar.  It's very individual what one chooses to do, it can be very simple or elaborate, whatever is fitting for you.

I wish you comfort and peace, you love your dogs with all your heart and that is what they take with them.

• Like 2

Thankyou so very much. Your message is beautiful & healing, it's true, I just wanted Jesse back to do it all again differently for her. Intellectually I know she was so sick that no vet would've been able to save her, maybe kept her alive for a few days or weeks, just enough to make a profit for themselves, it's a sad reality that pet owners that do what I did will be judged & frowned upon, in our case I'm sure it was because he knew it would be the first & last time we see him, so where's the gain in actually showing some care & compassion. 

I'm making a memory box for Jesse with her little coats she wore & prayers I've written for her, that's a nice thought too about a tree planted in her memory. Thankyou for the links I will definitely read them.

the dog we have with us now Sasha has been in her own dark place, howling & looking for her best friend. Today she seems better, God knows I never ever thought for one minute this terrible grief would linger & affect us the way it has. Her little soul had a huge impact, I know I am a much better human being from having her in my life. 

Thanks again for your beautiful message, wise & very helpful to me. 

Thankyou :)

• Like 1

It is so hard for the dog left, you can't explain anything to them, they're like babies in that you feel for them but can't make them understand what's going on.  She'll be okay with lots of TLC and time.  I know it's soon, but have you thought about getting another dog for her?  Or maybe fostering one and see how it goes?  Even "play dates" with other dogs or trips to the dog park might help.  This was her companion and her loneliness could be intensifying her grief.  Every animal is different in how they grieve, just as we are, the dog I had when my husband died definitely grieved hard, didn't act like herself, but she was a very sensitive dog.  I was so wrapped up in my own grief and shock that it took my daughter to point it out to me, I felt so bad for her.

The memory box is a great idea, I wish I was so creative!  Maybe you could share a picture when you're done, I know it'll take you a while.  I wanted to make a scrapbook for my husband after he died, I bought the stuff, had ideas, but 12 years later I still haven't done it, it's too painful to go there.  To another person it might be healing, to me, it's just painful.  Maybe someday...

Try not to worry about what others think, they aren't living in your life and can't know.  You know you love your dogs more than anything in the world, that's what counts. 

It could be that the vet is just like that.  I've run into several who had no understanding of dog's natures and weren't good at working with them and you wonder why they chose this profession...obviously, money.

I love this:

15 hours ago, Chrissie4 said:

I am a much better human being from having her in my life

• Like 1

It's been one week yesterday since Jesse left us, I think about her everyday & her little face looking at me at the vet still haunts me, but it's getting better. She's teaching me patience, & that it's ok if I'm still sad, I guess I wanted a "time limit" to grieve, but there is none, Her best friend Sasha is lonely, we can see that & she howls every so often which is something she's never done before, I can see it in her eyes. She's getting better each day, I've been spending a lot more time with her, playing & she loves swimming at the beach. At this time now we are not looking at getting another dog , Sasha is learning a new way of living with us, & I think she'll be fine, she goes for daily walks to the beach & interacts with other dogs, especially the smaller breeds.  I've just bought a beautiful flowering shrub that I'm planting in memory of Jesse today, and a little angel statue. I feel very dissapointed now I didn't bring her body back to bury her here or have her ashes, but that would've been so much more expensive, I was already struggling to pay the vet what he wanted. I believe she's here in spirit & she's guiding me on this journey. It sounds like you have had a rough time, I'm so sorry to hear, with your husband passing. We can learn so much about ourselves in grieving for loved ones, at one point I thought I'd go nuts with the guilt,But  being on the pathway to becoming a Christian has helped, & if everything in life was like skipping in the fields & picking daisies,  we would all learn nothing! I will post a pic of Jesse next time, Thankyou for your kind words of encouragement, I was saying to my daughter yesterday, who would've thought that the most helpful grief counselling has come from the Internet  a from a stranger thousands of miles away, not from a neighbor, friends or relatives. This is a rare moment when the Internet is much valued. ( For me, I'm not a fan, my daughter is though🙄) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chrissie,

I'm glad you got the shrub to plant and the angel statue.  It will remind you of her, and that is a way you can honor her.  Becoming a Christian is as simple as accepting Jesus' words "I am come that you may have life and have it more abundantly".  I'm glad it's getting easier for you as the days go by, it's just a hard adjustment, but I'm glad you and Sasha have each other.

I just contracted someone to build a fence for my dog so he can run and play in our own yard, I can't wait for it to be built!  I'd love to see your picture!

I've been on this site ever since my husband died 12 1/2 years ago, it's become a lifeline for me.  Knowing we will be with those we love when we die makes all the difference in the world for me, so I've always loved the Rainbow Bridge.  Thinking about them running and playing with other animals, being free and happy and keeping an eye out for us to join them...it brings peace to me.  

If I had it to do again, I would not have opted for surgery for my last cat.  She likely would have lived as long, but without having to recover from the surgery, or having those staples removed from her belly.  That was worse than the surgery. 

I had decided to not get another cat, but the house was so empty I emailed the shelter and told them I could foster a cat.  This may be a foster failure.  She has grown to like the man-friend.

Oh my goodness I've just only now watched the rainbow bridge video & i am in the car waiting for my daughter, the tears 😭 it's beautiful but hard to watch as well, I wish we could all group hug together, I'm so glad to of found this group u are all so understanding & helpful, sometimes I feel like a real goose because I get so sad about Jesse. It feels so much better to know there are people that feel the same way I do about their pet, I've tried to upload a pic on here with my profile but something's not working, I'll try next time, been sorting thru photos. Not easy to do, but getting there. Do any of you really believe there's a special place in heaven for our much loved pets and that we will see them again?? I know I feel Jesse around me sometimes, but I guess I need to "forgive" myself for feeling like I should of done more or I could of done more to help her. Kayc you've been in this group for 12 years? You have a lot to offer & I for one am very  grateful  for your contributions in my loss.

i too will look for the peace in my heart knowing that surely one day if we can hurt this bad it must be Love, and Love is eternal, it can't be taken away, so there has to be a time when we will see the beautiful loving souls of our pets and loved ones. Another place, where sickness & disease no longer exists.

ipswitch I hope your foster cat is just what you've ben looking for, we adopted a feral cat 5 years ago from our vet, she had been abandoned in a vacant block with her mum & brother, her mum was only a kitten herself. Long story short🙄 I thought she would never settle, even contemplated returning her to the vet..5 years on she is the sweetest most gentle soul you've ever met in a cat, And we've never seen any mice since she's lived with us. Her name is "Roxy" she lives quite contently with Sasha our curly retreiver.

i hope it all works out..bye for now

16 hours ago, ipswitch said:

This may be a foster failure.  She has grown to like the man-friend.

Some cats are that way, I had one that adored men but she learned to love me too.  Maybe try to spend some time alone with her so she doesn't "pick her preference" and gets to know you.  And you can always try another foster cat later, it could turn out very different as cats are very unique.

3 hours ago, Chrissie4 said:

Do any of you really believe there's a special place in heaven for our much loved pets and that we will see them again??

Absolutely!  I have come to know God as a being that is very well thought out, He doesn't just do stuff randomly.  As a God that is (as I see it) methodical and thinking and organized, I keep that in mind...when I consider the Bible tells us the lion shall lay down with the lamb, we know there are animals in heaven.  Now why would God randomly pick a lion and lamb and not my beloved, Teddy, Fluffy, Lucky, Taffy, Midnight, Brandi, Tigger, Autumn, etc?  He wouldn't.  They are the best, and they'll be there to greet me as I cross over.

• Upvote 1

Jesse, as a young pup, & as she was recently, God bless her precious little innocent soul..I've stuck both these pics of her in the back of a book I'm reading, its one of those books that jump right out at you, meant to read it! It's Dognitive therapy, I can't tell you who the author is ( because my post here will be taken down if it looks like I'm promoting the book) but it's a really good read about human psychology towards our dogs. Ta ta for now all the best to all you wonderful contributors of this healing group. Lots of love Chrissie4 😍

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

No, it's okay to say the name of the book and author, to give credit to them and share information with us.  In fact we have a whole thread on recommended books for grief so this seems the best place to list it.

Yes, Chrissie, Kay is right. We often recommend articles, books and other resources to our members. Posting here is fine, as long as we give credit where credit is due.

I believe the book you're recommending is this one: Dognitive Therapy, by Laura Vissaritis . The book is also available in a Kindle edition from Amazon: Dognitive Therapy Kindle Edition

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure. Yes your right the book is Dognitive therapy by Laura Vissaritis. I'm almost finished reading it, she has an amazing insight into how we relate to our pet dogs, & more importantly their behaviour towards us as their lifetime carers.

with the help of the book, & our beautiful retreiver Sasha, I'm moving forward after Jesses passing & discovering how I can do things better this time, and although guilt is sometimes a thorn in our side, it's a necessary evil,  in my opinion to help us become better human beings, & the best dog owners we can possibly be. 

• Like 1