Grief Healing Discussion Groups

House fire

Candy329

I lost my dog and cat in a house fire last month. I left a half hour before the fire started. The fire destroyed the entire house. When I got the call that my pets were dead- my world fell apart. I can't think about them without my stomach turning. I miss them so much. Nothing feels the same. I dropped out of school and started sleeping alot. When I'm sleeping I don't dream...and that's the only relief. I work full time with disabilities and I'm having a harder and harder time being a positive role model for them. My survivors guilt is starting to consume my entire life.

My dear Candy, I am so very sorry to learn of this horrible tragedy in your life. Your loss is of such a magnitude that I can only hope that you've found some qualified, professional support to guide you through this. This is way too much for you to handle all by yourself. Coming here is fine, and we'll walk beside you as long as you need us, but please know that you need and deserve someone to trust and to lean on, shoulder to shoulder and face-to-face.

I'm so sorry that you've lost not only your home but also your beloved dog and cat. I'm sad to say that the same thing happened to a dear friend of mine a few years ago; I wrote about it here: Remembering Two Precious Souls.

Your story also reminds me of a wonderful and heartwarming book that was written some time ago by my friend David Congalton, a man who also lost his beloved animal companions in a house fire, Three Cats, Two Dogs: One Journey through Multiple Pet Loss. Click on the title to read a description and reviews of his book on Amazon, or you might find a copy at your local library.

See also Recovering emotionally after a residential fire

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your losses.  I can't begin to imagine how hard this must be.  Are you getting counseling to help you through this?  My heart goes out to you.