Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost my spouse to accidental prescription drug overdose

Johnny,

I so relate to everything you just said...George was my everything.  We met later in life, both of us in our mid 40s, married, were blissfully happy and then just after his 51st birthday, he suddenly died, we hadn't even known he had heart problems until that fateful weekend.  Turns out he'd had a heart attack six months prior that essentially killed him but the airbag in the car gave the thrust to his chest that restarted his heart!  We'd been puzzled by his "going out" but attributed it to his Diabetes.

Eleven days after he died, my eyes spotted a refrigerator magnet, a dragonfly drawing my eyes toward it...I believe it was meant for me to see it.  I bought it and it's up on my refrigerator still.  It says Find Joy in Every Day.  It was a life changer.  I began to learn the art of living in the present, of mindfulness, of being grateful for what is rather than only lamenting what isn't.  As I'd look over my day, I'd be thankful for the person who let me merge in traffic, the gentleman that held the door open for me, a phone call from my sister, the "little joys" that are mine in today now that my "big joy" (George) was gone.  I call this an art because it's a practice one can learn.  Nothing too small or insignificant to count.  A pansy appearing in the sidewalk (special to George and I), a rainbow.  

And yes, my dog and cat are my family and I don't know what I'd do without them.  You have found a key...being thankful for the little things.

Find joy in every day.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1