Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Christmas eve

Simone

My dog Mr. Man dies Christmas eve. He was 12 years old and the best son i could've ever asked for. I believe he was bit by spider or something on the porch. I work over nights and when I brought him in before work he seemed fine. I regret not rushing him to the Veterinarian sooner, but i loved him and its just difficult to keep reminding my three year old that he is gone and not coming back. I am just venting. Thank you for listening.

11 hours ago, Simone said:

its just difficult to keep reminding my three year old that he is gone and not coming back.

I'm so sorry to learn of the death of your dog ~ and on Christmas Eve, of all days. 

I'm hoping that you may find these articles helpful as you guide your three-year-old through this loss:

Explaining Pet Loss to Children: Some Do's and Don'ts

Using Story to Explain Pet Loss to Children 

Using Children’s Books to Help with Grief

Explaining Death to Children

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Simone said:

I regret not rushing him to the Veterinarian sooner, but i loved him and its just difficult to keep reminding my three year old that he is gone and not coming back. I am just venting. Thank you for listening.

Awww...that is very sad. It is really hard to lose pets. They can be such fabulous friends, and it's really heart-wrenching to lose them. It's hard to not blame yourself or wonder what else you might have done. They just don't have a good way to tell us when something is wrong. Cats are even worse in this than dogs - they are masters al looking their best no matter how sick they are. Twelve years is a long time to have a friend and lose him...

I am so sorry for your loss.  I think we all wonder afterwards if we should have done this or that different, trying to find a different outcome.  What would you tell a friend going through this?  Tell yourself that.  We need to BE our own best friend especially when going through something like this but I find most of us are hardest on ourselves.  It amazes me how our lives can be going along fine and we think we'll have them a long time yet and all of a sudden something changes that totally upheaves our world...I lost my dog, Arlie in August (cancer).  The two dogs who've both had cancer had Golden Retriever in them.  So sad all the more since they are such a gentle breed that would never hurt anyone.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. The holidays are difficult enough without losing a pet. Be kind to yourself. Your grief is so fresh and it's made even harder by the fact that your sweet dog died so suddenly. I lost my wonderful boy Rudy in August and the loss still feels very new. Hugs to you. I have found some articles on this website very helpful:

https://whatsyourgrief.com/

• Like 1

I get articles emailed to me from them, they are indeed helpful.  I've used them in my grief support group.