Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I'm still grieving and don't feel ready to get a new dog

paula__

Hi everyone ❤️ I came new in here a few days ago since I lost my dog this week (I had to put her down) and I need some advice. I loved my dog so much, we had an amazing bond and she was literally a light in my life, I'll keep her forever in my heart and I wish I could still protect her. I was the one in the family who took care of her lately so now at home they all seem to feel better than me, and they want to get a new dog. They know how I feel but they're getting it next week, and I'm okay with it because I will give him plenty of love and a new home, but still I think I'm not ready for it as I'm still grieving the loss of my little one... And I still don't know if I feel at peace with her death, it hurts to look at pictures of her but I also can't stop picturing her and missing her. I'm afraid that having a new dog at home won't help me get through my grief in a good/comfortable way. 

I don't know exactly what advice to ask for, but I guess just some opinions would help. Thank you ❤️

• Like 1

Paula,

I understand.  Arlie was my soulmate in a dog, the perfect dog for me and I know he can never be replaced, there is no other dog like him.  That said I can't see being totally alone the rest of my life either.  Arlie passed away nine months ago tomorrow, he was 11 1/2.  

I tried adopting a rescue, more than once, and had some bad experiences, they didn't work out.  I was at the point where I thought maybe I would not have another dog again. My son brought me a puppy before Christmas.  He was conceived when Arlie passed and born on my birthday!  Unbeknownst to me his name was Kobie, but when I first saw a picture of him, the name Kodie popped into my head.  That night my son brought him up and bought a tag and collar for him.  He put that and the paperwork down on the table, and lo and behold the tag said Kodie!  He apologized for the typo and I said that wasn't a typo at all and explained to him.  When I pointed out when he was born and would have been conceived, it amazed him.  It was meant to be.  Maybe Arlie had a hand in all this.

He wormed his way into my heart.  Not the same as Arlie, but in his own unique ways.  ALWAYS I will miss my Arlie, and NEVER will I forget him or stop loving him!  I very much look forward to the day I'll get to be with him again.  I still cry for him and talk to him.  I look out over my yard and see his grave and the yearning in my heart nearly bursts.  But honestly, I'm grateful for little Kodie as I don't know how I'd do with this social isolation without him here.  I even lost my 25 year old Kitty four months after Arlie.  I guess I'm not meant to be petless.  But every once in a while that special dog comes into your life, and for me, that was my Arlie.  

Arlie above, Kodie below.  Arlie is Husky/Golden Retriever, Kodie is Klee Kai (miniature Husky).

Arlie running free XS.jpg

Kodie 050520.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this with me, I'm so glad that you got to make such a special bond with Kodie even after your loss (by the way they're both so beautiful!) and I totally understand what you mean with Arlie... He seems like the one who completes you, who knows you so good and looks for you all the time. I think my passed dog meant that to me too, she will have the most special place in me always. It's so hard to describe how important they can become to us, but I wish I can give my future new companion all the love and create a new bond whenever I feel ready 

• Like 1

You will know when you find the one that is right for you.  And in no way will it replace her, you'll just find another one that will also be right for you in their own way...different though.  Some things you will always miss and that's okay too, that's a tribute to her.  I hope you will check in with us when you find another one, no time frame.  Had my son not brought this one to me I might not have ever gotten another, I wasn't having good luck and had given up on that ever happening.

• Like 1