Grief Healing Discussion Groups

How I Was Blessed Today

I want to express an area of my life for which have been blessed and I am grateful  

I am currently traveling for business (the first time since my wife’s passing). Ironically, I am in one of our favorite cities (Boston).  I noted I packed for the first time in 30 years etc. Even during the plane trip. I was thinking how I can’t tell my wife about the annoying guy beside me who did nothing but flip through heavy duty paper in a binder (at least 500 pages of it) for over three hours straight (it was like a punch in the face after the first hour)  ugh  

When I arrived to my hotel, I opened my suitcase, and on top of my clothes was a  note.  Understand, my wife would always write me a little love note each time I travelled and she packed for me…so when I saw this note my knees literally buckled.  I thought for a moment that perhaps it was a left over that I someone missed in a prior trip…or did not know what to think.  

I picked it up and read it. It was from my son! :-). He just wrote a little note stating he is proud of me, and that “mommy” would he also and she will be with me on this trip etc.  

Understand, this is a bit out of character for my son. By that, while he is very loving, he normally doesn’t go out of his way to show it like this. 

So it really made me think.   While yes I am very sad and lonely in this hotel, at the same time I have to focus on the fact  there IS still one person left whom I know loves me unconditionally. It’s something I never have, nor ever will, take for granted.  God has blessed me today. 

• Like 7
  • Like Copy 1

44 minutes ago, Sad_Widower said:

I have to focus on the fact  there IS still one person left whom I know loves me unconditionally. It’s something I never have, nor ever will, take for granted.  God has blessed me today. 

Fabulous thread. Your comment was awesome, just lovely Sad. So warmed that your son showed his love for you in a way your wife did. And to say he is proud, how touching. Definite blessing indeed.

I think it's so important to focus on the positives. It's sometimes harder, but it's important to do this for our mental health. It's easy to feel like a victim in challenging situations and circumstances in our live. It reminds me of a Native American parable.

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Whether or not it’s your first time hearing this story, it serves as an important reminder of the power we have over our experiences and emotions.

I was blessed today too. This year I have been cleaning, renovating and preparing my studio condo so I can rent it out. I was at my church bbq today after church and was going to the condo after to do more work. A bunch of my friends from church and my prospective tenants came over to help ☺️ We got a ton of stuff done and I was so beyond grateful for their help. I had been so stressed out and they were there for me, so willing to help. Truly a welcomed blessing.

• Like 7

@Sad_Widower OMG that is so sweet of your son!  And that he did it just like your wife would have.  I think I'd fall over dead if my kids did that.

@Boho-SoulHow nice of your church people!  I think my place needs a lot more than an afternoon to clean out, it needs a lot, after 45 years and a lot of people leaving their stuff here...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

That was very thoughtful of your son, Sad_Widower.  It's amazing how it can lessen the intensity of the loss.  It's wonderful your wife and son were both with you.  I'm sure their love always embraces you.

• Like 2