Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Missing my best friend

Deej

I lost my 13 1/2 year husky two days ago.  He filled an empty void in my life.  We were never apart. He took care of me as much as I took care of him.  
The felling of loss, emptiness, sadness  is unbearable.  
I don’t think I can cope.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved companion, Deej ~ and I can say without hesitation that those you will find here DO know how much this hurts, since we've all been where you are now. The bond we have with our animal companions is very special and unique ~ as you say, they take care of us just as much as we take care of them ~ and what we share is different from the relationships we have with other people. There is an intimacy, an affection, a tolerance, a dependency, a truly loving relationship that cannot compare with any other ~ and when that relationship is interrupted by death, it brings us to our knees. It feels as if we cannot possibly go on without them.

You say you don't think you can cope, but you will, and you are. Finding your way here to us is evidence of that. Here you will find the comfort, information and support that will help to get you through. It's just that this pain is unlike any you've ever had before, and it truly does seem as if you cannot bear it. That's why it helps to be among others who know and share your pain, because you learn that you are not alone. You learn that, if others have found ways to survive this unbearable pain, then you will find a way to survive it, too. It gives you hope.

But right now, you need to give yourself permission to feel your pain. Think of it as testimony to the bond you have with your beloved husky. The pain you're feeling now is a measure of your love. Honor it. Feel it. Lean into it. Express it in any way that feels right to you. And most of all, know that you are not alone. We are here for you, I promise.

You might find this article helpful: In Grief: When Pet Loss Feels Worse Than Person Loss  

• Like 2
  • Like Copy 1

13 hours ago, Deej said:

I lost my 13 1/2 year husky two days ago.

Oh Hon, my favorite dog in the world!  I am so sorry for your loss, I know it's life changing and immense a loss.  If you want to tell us about him, we're listening..  I lost my Arlie (Husky/Golden Retriever)  3 1/2 years ago, nothing replaces them, I still miss him but I'm more used to it now, I think that's the best we can hope for.  What I wouldn't give to kiss his sweet face one more time.  His house was like a den to him, it sits empty.

Sending you comforting thoughts and prayers!

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

Thank you for your kind words.   I just can’t believe I won’t hug him again.  I’m having such a terrible time.  I get so antsy that I pace and cry and just don’t know where to go.   I want to scream.  No person or pet ever loved me so much.  He cared for me as much as I cared for him.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, MartyT said:

I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved companion, Deej ~ and I can say without hesitation that those you will find here DO know how much this hurts, since we've all been where you are now. The bond we have with our animal companions is very special and unique ~ as you say, they take care of us just as much as we take care of them ~ and what we share is different from the relationships we have with other people. There is an intimacy, an affection, a tolerance, a dependency, a truly loving relationship that cannot compare with any other ~ and when that relationship is interrupted by death, it brings us to our knees. It feels as if we cannot possibly go on without them.

You say you don't think you can cope, but you will, and you are. Finding your way here to us is evidence of that. Here you will find the comfort, information and support that will help to get you through. It's just that this pain is unlike any you've ever had before, and it truly does seem as if you cannot bear it. That's why it helps to be among others who know and share your pain, because you learn that you are not alone. You learn that, if others have found ways to survive this unbearable pain, then you will find a way to survive it, too. It gives you hope.

But right now, you need to give yourself permission to feel your pain. Think of it as testimony to the bond you have with your beloved husky. The pain you're feeling now is a measure of your love. Honor it. Feel it. Lean into it. Express it in any way that feels right to you. And most of all, know that you are not alone. We are here for you, I promise.

You might find this article helpful: In Grief: When Pet Loss Feels Worse Than Person Loss  

Thank you for responding with such understanding.  I do feel like I can’t go on.  I’m so sad it’s unbearable, it hurts, I cry, I pace and pace and don’t know where to go.  Nothing gives me comfort.  My husky was always with me. Such an emptiness, a void in my life.  

• Like 1

It was that way with my Arlie and definitely now with Kodie.  I think some pets love purer than people do.  Nothing fair about any of this. :(

Losing a beloved pet is SO hard, and so often the people around grieving survivors just don't get it. It's a painful truth that our pets just don't live longer, even when they live a long life for their breed. It feels cruel, the way it plays out. I work as a psychotherapist online and I have had so many clients who say that their dog or cat is their soulmate and/or best friend, and the loss of these dear ones is excruciating. No getting around it. But take care of yourself, and remember that "one day at a time" thing. Sometimes it's more like dealing with one minute at a time...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clematis said:

I have had so many clients who say that their dog or cat is their soulmate and/or best friend, and the loss of these dear ones is excruciating.

Truly, I called Arlie my soulmate in a dog and he truly was.

• Like 1