Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Back Pain- Maylissa

DoubleJo

Maylissa;

The continueing back pain on your left side you are describing is probably a pinched nerve in your lower back causing inflammation. That puts pressure on the nerves that are all connected down and up your left side. You might have lifted or pushed a heavy object. Although mental/emotional factors do take a heavy toll on a person,the also have their limits. I write this out of concern because this is something that can be taken care of easily for you. Sometimes the "simple global" answers people write books on may not always apply for everything that occurs. Take care,

doublejo, a widow twice .

Thanks, DoubleJo. I know all about back problems - had them on and off for years, and now go to a chiropractor who uses the "Activator" method - the only thing that's ever helped with mine ( took me 6 years of running to a million different docs and therapists ). I just spoke to him about the grief and he assures me that that's what's keeping me from healing up completely right now. The chemicals in our bodies are changed with every emotion, so healing can become more of a challenge. His treatments do help, though. I wasn't able to get to him when this all started, due to all the increased care that our Nissa needed at the time, so it worsened with not going regularly, plus he went on holidays for a month in the summer, plus all the anticipatory grief I was suffering with....then the after-grief. Now I'm able ( and hate WHY I'm able! ) to go more often, so it's slowly getting a bit more under control. In just a few treatments this last week, it's finally improving, but the emotional aspect may keep interfering with a complete healing for awhile. Thanks for your concern!

Hi suffer for really bad neck pain. i had cervical spine surgery 3 yrs ago to remove a disk and it was great. then when i became my moms caregiver i think i have aggravated another disk. i started going to a chiropractor while mom was here and it did help but just to keep up with it was hard. i am now in agony and not sure if it real or due to grief and depression that i have. i know that i am depressed and they say depression caused physical pain. i have chronic headaches but i am prone to them but not sure if they are worse due to the loss of mom or b/c of my neck which does causes them. i am a mess. i even get nausea and i know that is from the grief this whole thing is awful. i prray everyday that i will wake and feel so much better but it doesn't help. oh i wish i knew when, the pain (mental , physcial ) is horrible .. thanks for listening to me once again. lori

I came into this in the middle, but I have suffered from back pain since I was 16 years old. I have come to live with it. I have had 2 back surgeries during that time due to ruptured disks one when I was 18 and the other about 5 years ago. I know I probably have another one that is on the verge due to when I do too much during a day or weekend, man am I hurting the following day. I never really attributed it to grief, but I can see where that can add to the situation.

Hi all...Just wanted to pass on some info that I've found. I've had alot of aches and researched myofascial trigger points. I bought a book called The trigger point therapy workbook bt Claire Davies. Got it at amazon. Not many people know about trigger points, least of all md's. I would highly recommend anyone who has pain that won't go away, to buy this book and read it. It's one of those books that could change your life. Another thing I've learned is that we need to get hormone levels checked. A lack of progesterone in our body will make us hurt, become depressed,insomnia and a host of other things...and stress is the first thing to drop oue progesterone down...as well as it's the first thing to go in premenopause. Grief is stressful. I was amazed at the effects of not enough progesterone. Google "progesterone deficiency" and check it out. I'm not a doc but thought I weould pass on some of the stuff that I've learned.

MarieR

MarieR,

Great info to pass on. Thanks! I know about trigger points, having been suspected of having Fibromyalgia several years ago ( but it wasn't, after all....phew! ), but I'll check more on the progesterone as it's probably time for me to visit a Naturopath for perimenopause anyway. I'd put most of my own health issues on hold when I couldn't really leave the house for long periods while looking after our girl....but now I guess it's time for me to start taking care of me. Glad you posted this - a good reminder for me.

Hi all...Maylissa....I meant to add to my recommendation about the hormones and all, that the grief is definately a major component in our physical pains. I have had soooo many physical manifestations, so I researched and found so much written about how our body grieves as well as the mind/heart. I think the pain is both a distraction from the emotional suffering as well as the bodies own expression of the loss. There is also depression and anxiety experienced in grieving and they also offer physical pain.It's a good time to take extra special care of ourselves, if we can muster the concentration and energy. I just wanted to add this, I didn't want to discount the idea of our pain in our bodies, being our grief. Our bodies speak volumes, if we're smart enough to listen and wise enough to know that the body has an inner wisdom that can serve us well.

Much love to all and a peaceful day...or moments..

MarieR