Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Medication Needed Or Not In The Time Of Grief

STARKISS

Hi All,

My doctor says I should be able to stop my antidepressant medication and that I will be fine without it... I have been on it for just or a year... I am taking less of it now because the doctor wants to completely stop it by the summer... I just keep telling her that I really need it still and she says that I am totally dependent on it and won't get any better if I am still on it... As the dosage drop I find myself sadder than normal and I do not know what to do because I go back and tell the doctor she is going to just think that I am trying to make excuses for being on the medication... I am not sure what my next step should be.... Please help if you can.... Shelley

Hi All,

I am scared to talk to anyone else about how I feel, I am trying to get an appointment with the grief counsellor I was recently seeing before I quit going to her... I think I need to try and see her again I just have to find a way of doing this.... take care and Thank you to everyone who reply to this post Shelley

Why does your doctor want you off so quickly? I agree...find another doctor. I have been on and off meds (mostly on) for over 10 years for anxiety and depression. I know in my case that it is essential for me to function...even before my parents passed away. You are going through so many changes now that I don't think it would be a great time for you to go off of anything.

Good luck...Lori

Hi All,

I just wanted to tell you that I went to see another doctor and she has started me on the same medication that I was with the first doctor... She will keep an eye on me for the depression... Take care Shelley

I agree. Maybe see a grief counselor. A doctor should not remove medicine when you still need it. If dependence is the only way to get through this, so be it. My guess is your doctor has never been personally through this.

Sorry, for some reason I didn't see the more recent responses.

Hi KayC,

I had to stop seeing my grief counsellor because I could not get to her... You see I do not drive and my siblings are not able to drive me and I work such long hours that I can not see her anymore... I work from 7am to 7pm five days a week and she is not able to see me on the weekends... So you see this is the only place that I come to help deal with my grief issues.... After all I said before my siblings say I am using the deaths of my parents as an excuse now.... Take care Shelley

Shelley,

I stopped seeing my grief counselor cuz he was nuts! Not literally, but he clearly had no understanding of what it's like to lose someone close. This place is it for me too. Thank God we have each other! I try not to talk to others about George or my grief too much, esp. now that I've remarried. I try to rebuild my life but it never entirely goes away and darn those grief bursts!! :angry:

Hi KayC,

How are you doing today? I am much better since I heard about my tests results eventhough I did not hear about the mammogram... I have days though that all I can do is get out of bed...Other days I am glad to see and have good ones for the most part.... I think if I did know how to drive it would be good but something in me just stops when I even think of doing it... I get very nervous and have the biggest headache over it... I know just have to find away to deal with the loneliness I am constantly feeling all the time... Anyway enough about me I hope your day is going better Take care and nice talking to you Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Let us know as soon as you know something (about your results). I am doing fine today. I know that sounds odd, but any of us survivors knows what that means...up one day, down the next, and sometimes for no explicable reason! I am going to the coast this weekend and looking forward to it...

TO ALL YOU MOMS:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

TO ALL THOSE MISSING MOMS AND/OR WIVES:

Our prayers go with you this weekend. My DH passed away on Father's Day and I don't know how I'll get through it, my own dad is dead and my kids will be with their dad on Father's Day, my husband's daughter doesn't want to meet me-ever, so it looks like I'm destined to be alone on Father's Day the rest of my life, at the time I need most to have supportive people around me. I can't help but think of those of you in similar situations, whether it be Mother's Day, Father's Day, a birthday, anniversary, Christmas, death day, or other marked event. God be with you.

Hi KayC,

My results came back except for my mammogram and they were all fine, The doctor says that I should not worry about the mammogram since everything else looks so good... Take care Shelley