Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Intense Fear Of Flying Related To Loss Of My Mother?

CFH

Hi, I unfortunately lost my mother about 6 months ago. I've become very conscious of my own mortality since then. Tommorow, my girlfriend and I are flying to Seattle for a trip in a seaplane. I've always been quite afraid of flying, but I am completely paralyzed by fear right now- its worse than any fear I can remember feeling. I am absolutely terrified to get on that plane. I know it will most likely be fine and I know that flying is a perfectly safe mode of transportation, but I can't seem to help feeling this way. I keep imagining all of the worse case senarios over and over again. I know it is important to face ones fear, so I'm going to go, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or any tips on how to remain calm.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

CFH,

I'm sorry no one answered you sooner. I assume by now you have already made the trip. I'm also terrified of flying (wasn't when I was younger and flew then, but am now) so all I can say is that I really admire your courage in facing it head on. I think losing someone makes everyone face their own mortality, it's very normal to feel this. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I hope the trip went ok, let us know!

Hugs,

Shell

I can relate to the fear of flying. i have felt this intense fear for a number of yrs. we flew to Calif 6 yrs ago and i held my rosary beads so tight around my hand that it left a mark.

The part about feeling your own mortality is normal after we lose a loved one.

I felt like a orphan after i lost my mom since my dad had passed 5 yr prior to her death. I wondered what death felt like, i am still terrified. i believe in heaven but am so afraid of what it is like. my mom had this fear til the day she died. i tried to comfort her but i go see the fear in her eyes. this bothered me the most. i pray that i wont' feel that scared. she was catholic and had a strong faith but it still scared her.

i don't think i will be flying for awhile, thank God. my little son also does not do well flying. thank God my husband does not mind driving.

Lori

CFH- I am very sorry about your loss, I lost my mother June of this year, I am right there with you.

Lori, I also know there is a heaven and you know, I really never gave it a lot of thought, but, now- I can not wait to go.. because I know mom is waiting on me.

Rosanne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the responces. Sorry it took me so long to respond - I've been so busy with exams I forgot.

I was terrified but I forced myself to get on the plane, but I felt really embarrassed because I was visibly scared and normally I am pretty composed; but it doesn't bother me now. It was a small plane, so it was a bouncy trip, but we made it there just fine.

I can completely relate to becoming very conscious of one's mortality, it always seems to be in my thoughts these days. The thought of dying never really used to frighten me.

Thanks again for your replies, and I really am sorry that I didn't respond sooner.