Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Super Bowl Blues

I can't wait for the Super Bowl to be over this year.

Super Bowl madness has hit here in Phoenix, big-time, but for me it's more tears than fun. Everyone's running around going to the parties, the NFL theme park, looking to bump elbows with all the celebrities in town for the big game. But it's all making me sadder because Bill isn't here to share in it.

Football meant everything to Bill (I love it too). Each week during football season, we'd watch as many games as possible plus replays of the games we missed. We were really excited about this year's Super Bowl being held here, looked forward to it for months. We decided we'd go to as many events as we could, even if our beloved Steelers were knocked out of the playoffs and even though we knew we couldn't afford to mingle much with the high rollers.

Now it feels every bit as bad as the holidays did. Once again I'm surrounded by people smiling, celebrating, and laughing and I can't stand it. It makes me want to lock myself in my bedroom or run off into the desert screaming. I tell myself it will be over soon - but then in two weeks comes Valentine's Day and I know I'll be down again.

Yes, I know I have to get used to celebrating holidays and special occasions alone. And I believe people who say that someday these days won't hurt me so much. But right now, all I can do is cry.

Thanks for letting me vent, all.

Kathy

I understand. My moderator is gone so I no longer watch any football. Anyways, last Super Bowl was watched in Vanderbilt hospitals emergency room under the most terrible of circumstances but at least at the time I didn't know I had only until March 2nd with my beloved so I am thankful for that. We at least spent it together.

Suzanne

Kathy,

I'm sorry...I do understand. With George, every day was super bowl...he had an infectious personality, so fun and enjoyable. There has never been and never will be another like him. Some days are just hard, because they were the days we knew they would enjoy and love. But who knows, maybe your husband is up in heaven with a big plate of Nachos, rooting and hollering with the best of them!

You're not venting...you are just feeling some very raw true emotions. It's amazing how something as innocuous as the Super Bowl can trigger painful memories.

It's hard living with the loss and grief while others are out celebrating.

My heart is with you and I hope you find a way to make the time less painful.

I agree, when the Super Bowl came to Tampa Bay I was in no position to be celebrating (as I had my own physical issues that I was dealing with) but then the next year when the Buccaneers made it to the Super Bowl that was worse. Our whole family was there together at my cousin's house, in our old Jersey’s (old colors) and new ones alike. Everyone was so excited, things where at fever pitch. Then when we won it was so bittersweet, because my Grandfather had been a fan for years and years, when we were the NFL's great underdogs, he stood by them proud to be a fan. Through my happy/sad tears I knew that he knew what was happening. Somehow he knew how happy his family was and why.

It is hard. Though try not to feel like you need to apologize for your pain, the depth of your love for your Bill is a big reason why you feel the way you do. There is nothing wrong with mourning the loss of your great love.

Wishing you a peaceful time away from the hustle and bustle.

Kathy I am sorry for your sadness about the Superbowl but girlfriend you could have told me you lived so close I would have come and stayed with you ! I have been a diehard Giants fan since I went to my first game at the age of 5 yrs old. I have gone to training camps, in my younger years we used to go to where all the players would go and have drinks with them and dinner and go to the games and tailgate etc. I am so sad that my Steve will not be at our Superbowl party this year, but I hope he will be here in spirit routing for the best team...THE NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY GIANTS !!!!!

Love Ya,

Wendy

Guest moparlicious

i am sorry for your blues!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with everyone, your loved one is with you and maybe he has those nachos.............. GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My spouse was not a football fan, but I am, and I live in Glendale, this town is crazy right now, so I know I fit in. We are all with you!!!!!!!!!!! Wishing you love and peace, Kim :closedeyes: