Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Lost My Dad

I am glad you found this site. I think you will find many kind and caring people here. I am sorry about your dad. I lost my mom Dec.7th 2006 and my dad died Oct.2 2007, its been almost a year.

This is a safe place, you can say anything you want to say. Keep posting, its been a huge help to me. You are in my thoughts.

thank you so much for welcoming me!!! i am so sorry to hear about your parents...i know all to well ...that doesnt make it any easier...saying "im sorry" and its so hard to talk to people who are not in the same situation as you....no one can understand our grief unless they have been in our situation...some say that sounds selfish....but i believe its true....i always felt pain for those who lost loved ones...but that pain was nothing like the pain i felt the day i lost my dad...*april 7,2008* it wasnt totally unexpected....he had a heart transplant in 1996....and had health issues from then on out.....he had to start doing kidney dialysis in 2004....which really brought him down.... and he made it through so many near death experiences...when the dr's told us there was no hope...he actually pulled through!! he was a walking miracle...and i was so sso sooo sure this time he would pull through ..... but i guess he was tired of fighting....tired of being sick!! and i respect that...it is a sort of relief to know he isnt in pain anymore and i dont have to see him suffering....but ..i miss him dearly!!! i even miss him getting onto me (i still live with my parents) i've made it through a few firsts so far.....my first fathers day without him....my first birthday with out him.(august 25th) ...his birthday (sept. 15th).... I pray god gives us all the strength to make it through these hard times!!! and learn to live with our grief...because i know its not something we can get over!

Sounds like your dad went thru so much. I agree with you, no-one knows what this feels like unless they have gone thru it. My b-day is Sat and this will be my first one without my dad. He always sent me flowers on my b-day, never missed a year. Is your mom still living? Do you have siblings? I hope today will be a good day for you.

Hello! i hope your day was as nice as mine has been (so far) yes thank god my mom is still alive... my dad was only 51 when he passed...my mom is 48 she'll be 49 in december... i have been inseperable with her since his passing... we were like the three muskiteers anyways!! it was just us 3 living here at the house....i didnt want to "branch out" because of his health situation i wanted to be here to help!! so now its just me and my mom.... my dad had 3 boys from his 1st marriage which ended very ugly b/c his ex wife was a alcoholic....and back when they got a divorce ...was in the days where the mother would ALWAYS get full custody and the father just got weekend visits....and my "half" brothers mom would never let my dad come get the boys....so by the time they got old enough to make their own decision....she had it in their heads that he didnt want anything to do with them!! so i basically grew up as a only child... same now! enough about me! i know this weekend will be a tough one! i can't lie and say it was easy for me on my birthday...all i wanted to hear was "happy birthday fred" (my dad's nickname for me) but i know with all my heart he was with me that day!!! you have to remind yourself that!! its a rough road ahead of us...but i believe our loved ones would want us to be strong and live out our lives!! and make them proud!!!

• 2 months later...

MississippiGirl,

Your love and encouragement for us all...it feels so good. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :wub:

I'm so glad, my words have encouraged you!!! :) it really makes me smile! I really hope and pray things are going good for you!!! and if you need to talk...anytime!!! please send me a message!!! i may not be good at giving advice!! but i can sit and cry with you! :) sometimes in the healing process...thats the best thing to do.....sit and talk about your loved one you lost....and just cry!! or laugh....either way...its keeping those memories fresh!!!

Oh, I agree, I agree. Sharing is caring, as the saying goes. It really helps to be able to talk about it. I am sorry to hear about your dad, it really is so tough. I lost my dad less than a month ago and he was 54.

It is wonderful and really says something for the power of love, that you and your mother are really sticking close right now. That is so good! :) I am happy that you are able to be so strong and so encouraging, it is really sweet of you to have so many nice sentiments for us, an inspiring attitude.

I honestly dont know where to start....

I lost my dad....i feel like my life will never be the same!! i know it wont be ..... i really think talking to others who are going through the same thing will help me out....hopefully! :(

It's been a little over two years since my dad passed away. I'm getting better in dealing with my grief, but it can still be a rollercoaster ride at times. Message boards like this helped me in the first months, as well as the support of my friends who have all lost a parent so I was lucky in that sense that they knew exactly what I was going through.