Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Planted 2 Trees In Honor Of My Parents

AnnieO

Yesterday was a very emotional day for my family. We finally decided what we wanted to do with my parent's ashes. We planted 2 trees on our property and put the ashes in the ground with the trees. We picked my parent's favorite type of tree. Its some kind of crab tree with bright pink flowers in the spring and berries in the fall. They had them all over their yard and always made us go look out the window when the flowers would blossom, my mom would always say the same thing everytime " have you ever seen anything so beautiful?". So, hopefully this spring I will look out my windows and think to myself, "no mom, I have never seen anything as beautiful as these trees".

Today, I woke up and felt more peace than I have in a long time. It just felt so right.

• 2 months later...

Annie, oh I am so happy for you. I think it is so sweet, that you can stand there and say, "no mom, I have never seen anything so beautiful." That is soo sweet and special.

Reading your post makes me think about my mother's idea to plant a tree for my dad in the backyard in his honor. I did my research and found the name of one of his favorite trees - quaking aspen! It felt so good to find it go, "aha! That's it!" :)

There are little things that feel good. It's wonderful.

Chai

I have quaking aspen on my property! Now when I drive past, I will think about you and your dad! My two kids and my niece and nephew have decided they are going to find sun-catchers or wind-chimes to hang in the trees we planted. My mom would love that.

Chai

I have quaking aspen on my property! Now when I drive past, I will think about you and your dad! My two kids and my niece and nephew have decided they are going to find sun-catchers or wind-chimes to hang in the trees we planted. My mom would love that.

AnnieO, thank you! :) That's sweet of you. The chimes and/or suncatcher idea sound absolutely beautiful. That will be a great display to drive past. :)