Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Help For An On-line Friend

Dear friends,

I need some help for an on-line friend whose adult son very recently committed suicide. I have a son about the same age.

He also has a very ill wife, who like my former wife, requires constant care-giving.

Can you recommend any on-line support groups that might be of help to him?

I cannot imagine losing a child.

So please help.

Walt,

I'm so sorry. What about the forum on this site for loss of a child? I think that some of the people who post there have lost a child due to suicide. I'm sure Marty would have a good suggestion and will post it for you as soon as she sees your request. You could also email her directly.

Like you, I cannot imagine losing a child or grandchild. I'm just said a prayer for your friend and the family.

Sherry

Walt, dear, I'm so sorry that this tragic death has happened, and what a good friend you are to be searching for ways to help. Fortunately the Internet is rich with resources for survivors of suicide; many of them are listed on the Suicide Loss page of my Grief Healing Web site. See also the page entitled Helping Someone Who's Grieving, where you will find links to articles like this one:

Helping Survivors of Suicide: What Can You Do?

Walt,

I am so sorry for your friend's loss. He is fortunate to have you, as I know you will want to be there for him however you can. I had some close friends who lost their adult son to suicide, and it was very tough for them, they got some counseling and that helped. Suicide adds another dimension to grief that makes it that much more difficult and sometimes counseling can help the person understand that some people for whatever reasons are less able to cope than others and it isn't their fault and often there's nothing that can be done to prevent it. It is a very hard thing for those who are left and my heart goes out to your friend, who already has a very full plate.