Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Puppy Killed By Car Right In Front Of Me

CharlieGirl99

I'm brand new to this forum and could really use some help. Our 5 month old puppy was killed by a hit and run driver yesterday and it all happened right in front of me. We had been working with her on not bolting and running away, but she took off across the street. When I called her to come back, there was no traffic, but she hesitated a few minutes, then came charging back (and she was very quick) right as a car came speeding around the corner. I'm still in shock and cannot stop crying. I feel horrible and totally responsible, even though I know in my mind that there wasn't anything I could do, but I just can't seem to accept it. The jerk that hit her never even stopped.

She was only alive for about a minute after being hit. My husband came rushing out and tried to cover her with a towel and get her into the car, but it was already too late. It all happened on a weekend, so we had to leave her in an overnight drop box at our local veternary clinic. My god, do I feel horrible about leaving her in such a cold place. I kept having these horrendous visions of her regaining consciousness and me not being there. I know, it wasn't a rational thought, but it was still there and hard to shake. We didn't know what else to do...we didn't want the kids to see her like that. We did contact the hospital this morning and are going to have her cremated, so at least that will help provide us with a little closure.

We had only had her a few short months, but she had become such a beloved member of our family. She slept by my feet and went everywhere with us. I can't believe she will never get the chance to grow up. My two boys seem to be handling it OK, our oldest is 7 and told me "it's OK, mom, we can just go to the pound and get another one". Our youngest is 2 1/2 and is too young to grasp what has happened. My husband is also devestated, but seems a little more put together on the outside. He's been such a wonderful support, but I feel like I'm bringing him down with my crippling guilt and grief. Is another dog going to help us or hurt more? I can't seem to wrap my head around that idea either.

I haven't been able to go more than an hour or so without crying. I couldn't sleep and I can't eat. Please, any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to know how I can get the last images of her life out of my head and replace them with more loving memories of how she was before that horrible accident. And, how to get the swelling on my eyes to go down....I look like I just lost a boxing match.

Dear CharlieGirl99,

I am so sorry to hear about your little puppy. Like you said you only had her a few months but bonds can grow so quickly with pets. It's always hard to lose someone that means so much. You are right in the fact that there was nothing you could have done. You have to remember the good times that you gave her and that she gave you in her short time here on earth.

As for the puffy eyes, "time" is all I can say. When my cat, Dinty, died I didn't even attempt eye makeup for at least 5 days.

In time, you will want another pet, and you will know when you are ready.

Hugs to you and your family and your beloved little puppy who is now in Heaven with my Dinty.

Karen

CharlieGirl,

I am so sorry and sad to hear about your puppy, and I'm sorry about the driver not stopping. I wish I were there in person to give you a big hug. It was a very unfortunate accident and not your fault. This is a good site. Keep yourself surrounded by people who will comfort and support you. Your husband sounds like he's trying to stay strong for you. In time the loving memories will return. It's such a shock and devastating right now. Marty may have some good websites with info to help you. God bless.

Anna

Thank you both for your kind words, they really helped. Karen, I'm very sorry about your Dinty, he sounds like he was a one-of-a-kind kitty. I'm sure Dinty and Scarlett (our puppy) are both in heaven right now wondering why we are so sad and hoping we can heal soon.

Thanks again,

Tina

My dear CharlieGirl,

I, too, am terribly sorry for your loss, and I can't imagine how horrible this was for you and your family. Many years ago my beloved Cockapoo Muffin was hit by a driver who failed to stop, and we didn't find him lying in a ditch until two days later. He was still alive, but there simply was no saving him, and I still had to make the agonizing decision to have him euthanized. Your tragic story reminds me of all of that, and more . . .

I want to be sure you're aware of all the resources I have listed on the Children and Pet Loss page of my Grief Healing Web site, http://www.griefhealing.com/children-and-pet-loss-links.htm as I think they may be of help to you and your children.

Dearest Charlie Girl, I'm so, so very sorry for your loss of your beautiful puppy. I too just lost my Golden unexpectedly last Thursday so I can honestly say I understand the intense, intense pain and guilt.

Please let me say you did not leave "her" at a drop box. She had already returned to heaven. This was only her little shell that enabled her to be on earth.

True, 5 months is a short time but what did she give you and your family during those 5 months? What did she teach you and what did you learn?

It was a horrible accident, it wasn't your fault and I'm so sorry you had to witness what happened. It is hard for me to understand why people don't stop when they know they've hit. To a lot of people it's nothing more than an "inconvenience" or maybe the driver thought he/she would be in trouble or responsible somehow. Regardless, I personally feel there is a MORAL obligation to stop and see if any help can be offered.

Your youngest son is too young to understand what happened yet but I think I would explain to your older one that each life is special and while you can easily get another puppy from a million different sources (hopefully rescue) they won't be like the one you had. If you get another one will you do things differently?

I know the images of such a traumatic even can be etched into your mind but try to remember that was one event. What about the hundreds of other happy moments she had with you.

Sometimes, like people who are taken too soon from us, animals are only here for a short time to teach us things. Maybe your puppy was sent to do that and then that mission was accomplished.

I'd be weary of getting another one right now just from how you sound. You don't want to continually compare another dog to her. Another dog won't ever be her. Also, dogs are a lot of work and you have 2 young children who require a lot of attention themselves. While I feel a dog is beneficial to a family, especially children, you have to be sure it's the right time for all of you.