Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Does Anyone Else Wake Up With Panic Attacks?

Or what feels like panic attacks. In the mornings sometimes I get heavy flashbacks of my dad and I hanging out. And my body feels like it doesn't want to get out of bed. My chest starts feeling very tight, and it's hard to breathe. I try to take deep breaths, but it doesn't lessen the chest tightening. I think it's the idea of having to face yet another day without my dad. It feels like someone's sitting on my chest. Does anyone else get this? Thanks.

Yes I get that quite a bit, I know just the feeling. Especially right at the beginning but it's starting to be less frequent. I'm sorry about your dad. My mum passed away recently. It's such a huge thing to comprehend. When someone you love so much and has been there every day of your life suddenly disappears. I find meditation helps. Maybe you are not without your dad. Maybe he is right there with you just in a different way. I find it helps writing my mum emails telling her everything that I'm feeling. Maybe you could write or talk to him about how much you miss hanging out with him.

I find I get panicky when I think I can't talk to her any more and it is a great relief just to tell her everything I'm feeling and how much I miss her.

I hope you wake up one morning soon feeling yourself again ready to take on the world. I'm sure it will take time. But I'm sure your dad still loves you so much and wants to see you happy.

Warmest wishes,

Josie

Empty Inside, oh yes definitely. It's been just over six months since I lost my husband, but for the first two months (and the first month was very bad) I felt as though my heart was in a vice, which was being slowly tightened, till I thought it would literally burst and shatter into many pieces. I can remember my heart banging so hard in my chest that I wondered if I was going to have a heart attack (and silently hoped that I would). I'd also gasp for breath and feel as though my legs couldn't support my body, panicking if I couldn't grab something to hold onto (like a kitchen counter top or the back of a chair). It would make my ears "ring" when this happened. I still get these attacks every now and again but they visit less frequently. But now? My heart still feels heavy in my chest, as though it has gained weight on its own ... I'm aware of it often, and it just feels laden really, wth grief and sadness I suppose. It's hard to explain and describe? I think that in the beginning this was caused by the shock and horror of what had happened and the pure unadulterated fear that was coursing through me.

Another thing ... I often catch myself holding my breath, but don't do it consciously, and sometimes this then makes me start gasping too.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs

I don't wake up with panic attacks, but I have them before I go to sleep. I get scared that in the morning my whole family will have died and left me. It helps to have someone on the phone to talk to. I got my phone in my room taken away when I got caught on the phone with a help line, but when I had my phone that's what I did to make the panic attacks go away. Talking about it helps lots.

are you at home or at boarding school (I was a boarding school child hence my question) ....

if you are away at school, then please speak to your house captain or housemistress and explain that the phone is a coping mechanism for you ... they can easily set it up so that you can only dial certain numbers (e.g. family members that knew your "baba")

and if you are at home, perhaps suggest to your Mom/Dad that they allow you your phone priveleges back (with the caveat as above if they are worried about getting a massive bill!)

Just a thought. (When I was away at school, we had no cellphones then ... I am 45 yrs old now!) and the only phone we had access to was in the hallway, shared by 45 girls .... but we could reverse charges on it!

Hugs, Boo xx

Kids help phone is toll free...it doesn't even show up on the phone bill and they dont' charge you for a call. I'm at home, not at boarding school (although sometimes i think being away from home would be better). My parents have issues with me being on the phone with kids help phone or a mental health crisis line because they think I'm hiding stuff from them, which isn't true. I tell them everything that I tell kids help phone. Kids help phone is just better at listening and helping. Mom says I can wake her up at night and tell her I'm having a panic attack, but I tried and she rolled her eyes, told me to stop overreacting and then went back to bed. So they don't follow through with the whole "come to us, talk to us about anything" thing. Wouldn't it make sense that if you don't know how to handle your child's problem, to pass that problem onto someone (a professional counsellor) who does? jeeze!

I do go to counselling now though for my grief, and I have panic attacks sometimes when I'm there so my counsellor notices and helps me through it.

perhaps if you put the call on speakerphone and let her hear you a couple of times, then she will feel reassured that another adult is not stealing her baby away, or doing what she should be doing for you/ what is a huge issue to you may not be to her and vice versa .... perhaps suggest that to her?

Hi EmptyInside,

I had a severe panic attack several years ago when my father had just been diagnosed with triple-vessel heart disease. My dad passed away 9 months ago, and the panic/anxiety attacks have returned with a lot more frequency. At work, when driving, in the mall etc. -- completely unannounced -- a feeling of impending doom would hit. Clammy/cold hands, lightheadedness, chest tightness, fear of losing control etc. would last for about 15 minutes then subside. Absolute hell to go through.

I've gotten some help via progressive muscle relaxation, 7/11 breathing, tap therapy techniques. My doc has prescribed minimum dose xanax to take on demand, and this pill works like a charm when used sparingly.

Hope you can find some comfort zone where you can accept your father's loss, grieve, and still be able to live your life with relative happiness.

Dear Jenny,

I'm glad you have someone to talk with during these attacks. My daughter has what we call "spillover tantrums" as a result of severe change and challenges to her day. They increased tremendously after her dad died and holding her and talking to her usually escalates things. It is similar to a panic attack as she feels her whole world is crumbling and there is no hope. What works is for me to hold her calmly and remind her to breathe. I can't fix anything other than to let her talk or rant or cry. I need to be there, without a voice for her. If you think about it, isn't that what we all need after losing such a big part of our hearts? It can be so intensely scary.

Take care and please tell your parents you are not the only one that needs help after a loss. They may be in real pain as well, and just trying their best to hold it together "normally" for you. I'm glad you found us.

I wish you peace,

Kath

Hi EmptyInside,

I had a severe panic attack several years ago when my father had just been diagnosed with triple-vessel heart disease. My dad passed away 9 months ago, and the panic/anxiety attacks have returned with a lot more frequency. At work, when driving, in the mall etc. -- completely unannounced -- a feeling of impending doom would hit. Clammy/cold hands, lightheadedness, chest tightness, fear of losing control etc. would last for about 15 minutes then subside. Absolute hell to go through.

I've gotten some help via progressive muscle relaxation, 7/11 breathing, tap therapy techniques. My doc has prescribed minimum dose xanax to take on demand, and this pill works like a charm when used sparingly.

Hope you can find some comfort zone where you can accept your father's loss, grieve, and still be able to live your life with relative happiness.

It is absolute hell. You'd think that the attacks would go away with time! Thank you for sharing.