Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Had A Dream!

Yesterday was just a weird day. It was our 8 month angelversary (I saw 'angelversary' in another post and I love it), plus it was Friday. Friday was the actual day of the week Scott died. Anyhow, I just didn't feel like going to bed, fell asleep on the couch, and when I finally went to bed (about 4am Sat morning), I read for about an hour. Then I couldn't sleep, cried, etc (we all know this too well).

I finally sort of fell asleep. And then, from the perspective of our bedroom, I heard some thing rattling at the apt door. I was afraid as no one else has a key, at the same time wondering if it could be Scott. And in he walked, in his Canadiens winter jacket, a toque, and his old sneakers. He didn't look at me, but just walked down the hall like he had something to do (plus he didn't have any beer, which used to make me crazy). Though he normally would have taken off his shoes. I tried to call to him but couldn't. Somehow, I made it to the hall and laid there, trying to call to him, but I couldn't make any sound. The only other time I have felt like this was as a kid, I dreamed I was drowning, and couldn't move in the water, or at least, I could only move VERY slowly.

Then that was over, and I was up on our bed (it is a very high bed), and Kailyn was on the bed and pointing at a tv on a high wheeled stand (we don't have this), and saying in baby talk which I very distinctly understood to be "This is very interesting." I just thought, "When did she learn to talk?", and then I was afraid she was going to fall and hurt herself.

Then all of a sudden, Scott was coming into the room, but I was lying with my back to him. I thought, "He's going to push me off the bed!" And he did, but I wasn't hurt. I was crying, "Don't do this to me!", meaning don't come to me but not talk, or me be able to talk to you. I grasped for his hand, not looking, and he took it. I stood up, and there he was, looking clean shaven, well, but thin, wearing one of his old, ratty golf shirts. All I managed to ask (I think I was crying) was, "Are you happy?" He smiled a little, sad smile, but didn't really look me in the eyes, and said, "I am getting food." And then it was over.

Now, Scott, over the last while, hardly ate, and nothing tasted good. I am quite sure that had something to do with his alcoholism. But for one year, after he got VERY sick, and actually stopped drinking, he enjoyed eating. So I have taken this to mean he feels better. But he still looked sad, maybe because he is not here with us.

I have been praying he would come to me, somehow. And though I know this was a dream, it still had a slightly different quality. Also, when I woke up, the kitties came to me, even though I had already fed them. I came away grateful, but missing him. Lots of tears, but grateful.

:wub:

Korina

And I dreamt of my father. I knew he'd passed on, so I asked my Dad how he could be there when he wasn't alive. He didn't say a word, he just smiled.

Korina-

I have dreams of Joe in the early morning. I still don't sleep. A few hours at a time. It seems after I walk the dogs early I will lay down for an hour or two and I dream he is alive.

The morning after he died, I drifted off for an hour and I heard as clear as a bell his voice saying "I'll see ya later" and then heard the front door close. I can see him clear as a bell in these dreams but he does not talk but appears to be not suffering. The thougths of him dying at work while in cardiac failure at such a young age, haunt me very day. In some ways these reoccuring dreams give me something I can no longer have and that is a minute with Joe.

I'm happy to know other people are experiencing similar dreams. The experts would tell us our subconcious is hard at work but some of this I would like to think it is something beyond us trying to provide some comfort and ease.

Thank you for sharing.

- Linda G

Thanks for the notes, everyone. I hope I get to see him again in my dreams! And subconscious or not, whose to say that the subconscious is one way they can communicate with us?

It does bring me comfort, though I can't really say my pain has lessened. I suppose it wouldn't....

Hugs,

Korina

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Hi all,

Twice I've had the dead appear & speak a few words to me. Not in dreams. 1st time was broad daylight at a stoplight. My husbands Grandpa had recently passed & Grandpa came & said stay close to Nellie, his wife, that I was very fond of. Odd, too that it was right near the intersection where I was driving him to the horse races in his car & had pulled the Hood Release in lieu of the Brake Release & the hood had flown up!

Then ny Dad appeared, 3 days after his death on Jan.1st. I woke up because both of my dogs had jumped on the bed & were pressing as close to me as they could, I snapped on the lamp & noticed my curtains were blowing, even though my windows were closed tight. I looked at the foot of my bed & there was Dad, & it looked like the wind was ruffling his hair. He just said a few words...don't worry I'm fine, then he was gone. It was 4:10 AM. I had built a mini shrine in my bedroom after Dad dyed & a few weeks later the pictures started falling off the walls.

I broached this subject with my Great Aunt who was extremely religious, mentally sharp & she said her husband had appeared a number of times in daylight with a few words.

I have yet to see my husband, Pat. I'm hesitant to go to Psychics & such. My aunt said to look for signs. We all question our spirituality & what happens next when a Beloved dies. Where are they?

Hmm, all I know is that I have seen my dad twice in dreams after he passed. The first one, we were waiting outside a building, my dad was wearing sporting clothes, a hooded jacket I had given him for Christmas, cotton pants and sneakers. He was standing next to me and we were waiting for my brother to come pick me up in the family's car. My dad spotted my brother driving in the distance (He always had great eyesight), and he said, there he is, I said that's right Dad, that's him, as I was getting ready to walk towards him, I said to him: Dad are you waiting for someone or talk to people? he said no, I said, then come to the car with us, he said ok, we walked towards the car and I was getting in it, and at that moment I woke up. I didn't get to see Dad get in the car with us. After waking up I felt peace and I was glad I was able to at least see him in my dreams. It gave me some comfort.

The second dream I think it was my mind recreating the moments where he was at the hospital although this time, Dad looked healthy. I remembered it was so easy to get to the room he was staying in, he was getting ready for some x ray exams, but his face and body looked healthy. He said mom was on the opposite end of the hallway in another room, because she was getting checked out too. The strange thing is that my mom is healthy in real life, in the dream my dad was telling me to make sure I check on her to see how she is doing. He always was so loving with mom and all of us.

I miss him so much, I know he is ok.

I do think its true when people say a parent's death changes your whole perspective on life, I am sure not the same, and just try to cope with his loss, one day at a time.

-L

I had one dream of Alex since he past just about 2 years ago. He was sitting in our kitchen which is usually the gathering place in my house. He noticed that I made some changes to the house and I said don't get mad because you have a bad heart and he said that it was fine.

And last night I dreamt of my Mother. I turned around, and she was suddenly there. She kissed me goodbye. It wasn't a forever goodbye. It was like so many times when I had left visiting with her to return to my own home. I know I will see her again, many times.

My life may be in ruins (grief, unemployment, not even a cat for company), but at least I have beautiful dreams.

Ron B.

Ron - you have a very brave attitude. I love that! What a lovely dream. And while I am not unemployed at the moment, I just recently found out my position is being moved to a new city, and I am essentially going to be laid off in 10 months. I think it will turn out to be a good thing in the long run, but the timing could have been better...

Korina

It has been eight months since I lost Pat and I finally had my long awaited dream last night. Dreams can be so hard to explain because sometimes they do not make any sense. I was working in the yard and for some reason there was a mirror where I saw Pat's reflection. When I turned around he was standing behind me. I remember getting that long awaited hug that I wanted so badly. He also told me that he was okay. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I needed to know he was okay. :)

I am SO happy for you, Kat! My dream came at 8 months, as well.

Korina

Thank you to everyone for describing your dreams - I find every story comforting and interesting.