Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Memorial Websites

Chai

Dear friends,

While researching an author for a homework assignment, I discovered a beautiful memorial website for her. It is not beautiful in the visual aspect. It is a plain white page with a large column of text; the text is entry after entry of people sharing their memories of her. I call the website beautiful because of how much love was there in those people's entries.

The idea has struck me that I might want to do a similar website idea dedicated to my father. I remember how beautiful all the stories people shared at my dad's memorial were, and how I wished last year at the one-year anniversary, that I could be at the memorial again, and hear those wonderful stories.

I do not know how to make a website or have money for it. I think I am going to make an online blog, and have people send me their stories, which I will then post on the blog site. It might not happen if I don't get responses, but if it does I have a few questions -

Have any of you or anyone you know made memorial websites for your loved ones?

How did you go about it?

Did you make your own independent website or go through another site to make yours?

Or maybe you haven't made a site, but have something you'd like to add?

Thank you,

hugs and take care,

Chai

Chai, dear ~ I think yours is a wonderful idea! I've not made a memorial Web site myself, but only last October (after seeing the movie Julie and Julia) I started a blog (you'll find it here: http://griefhealingblog.blogspot.com/) As one who is not terribly computer-savvy, I was amazed at how easy it was to do (and it's free). I chose to use Google Blogger (some bloggers use WordPress) -- just type Google Blogger into your search engine and you'll be taken to all sorts of helpful "how-to" information. I found Blogger to be extremely user friendly, and everything I've done on my blog has been self-taught. I've learned something new about blogging every single day since I first began, and I think you'd find it quite do-able, too.

As an alternative, there are many online memorial Web sites now that you may want to investigate; I've listed several of them on the Funerals ~ Memorials ~ Rituals page of my Grief Healing Web site. I wish you all the best with your project!

Thank you so much for your reply, Marty! =D

I was, in fact, thinking of using Blogger for my memorial website, since I am familiar with that website and how it works.

I really love the link you gave me. What beautiful memorial websites! I might very well make one of those, or do it in addition to my Blogger memorial website idea.

Thank you!

take care,

Chai

WOW I just had a look at the list Marty and saw this thing called memory bears .....teddy bears made from loved ones clothing,quilts or throws aswell .....that is just the best idea. Think I'm going to raid the wardrobe at the weekend and find some clothes that would make nice teddy bears. I've always been a big kid at heart and loved getting teddy bears and still did up to a few years ago(was never much of a doll person). I would love to have a teddy bear made with some of Dad's clothes, sprayed with his aftershave to keep.

THANK YOU so much and thank you Chai....had you not asked about memorial sites I would never have know about these!!!

hugs and love ,

xox

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to niamh and Marty for sharing. :)

niamh, I am so happy you found out about memory bears! I was similarly overjoyed when I found out about them, although in the end I decided not to because I want to save my dad's clothes. I do love the idea, though, and I love seeing memory bears others have made or have done. If you ever get one, please share a picture with us!

Thanks to Marty and lots of research and hard work, I've decided to stick with doing my memorial site via blogger. I already knew how to use it (or I thought I did), but it took a while to get things looking the way I wanted and etc.

But I did it! Here is the url for the new memorial site (nothing really up yet):

Songs of Love and Light

aw that is lovely Chai, I look forward to seeing more on it. I see you have an Enya song up there, I don't know it but must check it out.

Yep delighted about the bears and they do throws aswell. Will wait a while though, I havent told my Mom, bit worried about telling her, she might not like the idea.I did have a look at some clothes but I see what you mean to Chai, I just thought no way, I want to keep it like this ....well there's no rush anyways so we'll see. But yeah I will definitely show you all if whenever I get them.

hugs and love hun,

xox

• 1 month later...

Marty, I made a memorial blog for my father...recently...as I have a tough time expressing my thoughts verbally. So since I have four other blogs (one for scale modeling, 2 for photography and 1 for just every day musings; my dad's memorial blog makes blog #5 - so I guess you could call me a prolific blogger).

http://www.yasutsuguchikamori.blogspot.com

It contains some of the memorial photography that I did; since I'm a photographer, I also like photos along with my text.

• 1 month later...

I have made a tribute page for my husband Mark Fish. I am still working on it. I am useing tribute.perfectmemorials.com . If you want to look at what I have done so far you can. Just go to tribute.perfectmemorials.com and then type in Mark Fish. It is the one that says Salem, ohio. He passed away on June 27, 2010. If you look at it can you please let me know what you think of it so far.

It is free to make a tribute on this page.

• 7 months later...

Dear Animal and Jennifer,

I really love your memorial websites. They are beautiful. Animal, your photographs and your determination to use your dad's last gift, is so sweet. I think you are very brave to put your letters to your dad up online for all to see. They are very moving. And Jennifer, I love how your website has a list of contributors and so many options; perhaps I could get more people to share their stories of my dad with me, if I had a setup like that.

Thank you for sharing your memorial websites. =)

take care,

Chai