Grief Healing Discussion Groups

This Hurts

I am going to sign the agreement for sale on my mother's house tomorrow. I have tried everything I can think of to get people to take her stuff. Now I am faced with renting a dumpster and throwing it all away. It needs to be out real soon. I went there today and waited for a trash collector/recycler that I had met the day before to show up as agreed with an empty truck. He never showed up. The whole time I sat there and looked at the stuff in the living room and died inside. At least he would have recycled it. Now a great deal of her belongings are going to end up in a landfill. I can't help but think of how hard she worked for some of the stuff, and how she honored to be gifted some, and all I'm doing at this point is throwing it out. I feel sick to my stomach and am now getting a head ache thinking about it.

Ben, couldn't you donate some of this stuff to Good Will or a half-way house or an organization such as St. Vincent De Paul? Places like that usually will arrange to come and pick up whatever you're willing to give them. That way, at least you'd have the satisfaction of knowing your mother's things were being put to good use . . .

Hi Benpm,

I know in Canada whenever I had something to donate I called the Children's wish foundation and they would send a truck and pick all the stuff up, or the diabetes foundation in Canada will do the same thing... Shelley

Benpm,

Please do what you really feel. Just because you won't have to bear the pain of dealing with such matters later on, maybe is the reason you want to get rid of it as quickly as one can. But you know your mom best. It is difficult on you at present but you can do whatever you decide. I support you in whatever decision you take. When my best friend died all her belongings were giving out to the fortunate ones who got them through good will, etc. I too got lucky and got something in return.

Take care,

Kavish

Ben,

I am so sorry. I cannot even begin to imagine the hurt you must have right now. I wish I could come help you in person do what needs to be done. Have you thought of maybe an estate sale or have you tried something like Craigslist (not sure if you have one or not) I sell things there all the time. There is always Good Will, St. Vincent De Paul or Salvation Army. I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to take care of your mothers things as their own.

Much love to you and a great big hug!

Shar

Ben,

I'm so sorry for the feelings you are having. In addition to all the other charities mentioned, you can also call the Veterans Association. They call me weekly asking for any type of donation. I actually donated a few weeks ago. Just left the items on the front porch and they came and took it. I'm sure if you mention that there are larger items, they will accomodate you. You can feel better about people in need taking care of your mom's belongings instead of it winding up in a landfill.

Take care of yourself and try to stay strong.

Keep sharing.

Hugs to you!!!

2sweetgirls

Thanks all,

Guess I am just frustrated that there is no organization that will just come in and clean it out for free. After all, they get a great deal of stuff to sell off, so they make money for their organization. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and just pack everything up myself and put it all outside, and arrange for a pick-up. Not that I don't already have enough to do in a short time, I sold the house and settlement is in one week. Nothing like a little pressure to make me yet again put aside grieving. I see a light at the end of this, maybe in 2011 I will have time to grieve. Well I'm off to find a charity before going to a second appointment today after work, after I finish getting dinner ready, and check on the kid and his homework I had to research software for him to be able to do it. Lol, but my wife will still tell me I didn't do stuff today. That's another story.

Hi Ben,

I had seven yard sales to sell my parents belongings and after the last sale we just put a sign up on the front lawn saying free to a good home that night and in the morning there were three things left.. It a wonder how people came and took it all away for us... Shelley