Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Should Be Getting Better

I posted this last year, but time just doesn't heal for some of us

(It's been over 5 years since my wife and best friend died.)

I Should Be Getting Better (Udell-Geld) - As sung by Bryan Hyland

I cried the night you told me I'd have to live without you

And baby I'm still crying I can't go on without you

I should be getting better baby, but I'm not.

I should be getting better, with every new tomorrow.

I shouldn't miss your lovin', I shouldn't walk in sorrow.

But lonely nights in heartache, are all I've got.

I should believe it's over. I shouldn't go on trying.

..... I should be finished crying.

By now a single teardrop should be a lot.

....You know I'm not....No, I'm not.

Here's a link to the song:

You and I started this journey within a few months of each other. I've not been able to find my way without him. I guess the trouble is I don't want to. I will always be grateful to have shared my life with him and felt what it was to be loved unconditionally. I know you miss her. Deborah

I know my heart will always be scarred. But I am thankful every day for our daughter, even though sometimes watching her grow brings the grief right back the beginning, she is my constant, and I have to be there for her. She brings meaning to my life.

Korina

I have been away from this site most of the summer. I have been travelling, one trip with my friend and one trip to a wedding and an extended stay with my son and daughter in law. I have missed coming here. I have really come to realize that this is the only place where people get it. I miss my husband so much. It may not be as raw as it was 16 months ago but the pain is there every day and I can travel whereever I want but I am travelling without him and coming home to an empty place and happiness is temporary. So thank you to everyone here for sharing and allowing me to know that what I feel is real and that I don't have to feel bad to be sad and cry and continue to feel so empty without him.

Oh Walt, I can't bear to listen to that song, it's too hard. I guess a part of me has to shut off or I can't take it. I'm sorry it's still so hard, I think it always will be, we've gotten more used to coping with this barren life, but sometimes I have to wonder why...why do we have to go on? Me, I live for my dog, after he's gone, I just don't know...

I know songs really get to me too. My daughter says, just turn it off when it comes on. She doesn't understand that once you've heard any part of it the emotions come flying at you. I went to see Julie & Julia with friends and when they played I love you a bushel and a peck near the end of the show I totally lost it and bawled like a baby. I know people thought I was losing my mind. It's just nice to know you can come here and people "get it".