Grief Healing Discussion Groups

One of the things I like to do to get through a work day is show off pics of my Honey, I have 5 I carry with me, one from 1970 when he was in Vietnam with the 101st Airborn division. When I got back to work from my bereavement leave there was a man who came to me and earnestly said I have missed you and Im very glad your back!. I got the feeling that he knew why I had been gone, but also knew how raw my feelings were so that was all he said. When I was showing my pics to him today and explained all that he said he too had been with the 101st Airborn and at the same time (though there were A LOT of them there) and he asked what my Honey did. I told him he was the one who guided the copters to the pickups and drop offs safely. He said he may have been on one of my Honeys flights. As he walked away he stopped and said Tell him thanks for me! I said I will. A short time later my brain started to wonder did he really know my Honey was gone? Well instead of letting it eat away at me Ive learned to confront such things, so the next time I saw him I took him aside and said I have to ask , you do know my Honey past away dont you ? He got the strangest look on his face took a step closer and leaned over a bit and said But you still talk to him dont you? I said Oh I do I do! he said In answer to your question yes I know, Im sorry if I offended you that was the last thing I wanted to do. I explained that he did not offend me and I had felt that he did know but that my brain gets in the way sometimes, thanked him and walked away feeling rather understood. It was a good feeling even though I was on the verge of tears. I then went home for lunch and had a good cry with my lil stuffed family. Thank you for listening and God bless ! Oh and I did tell my Honey that he had said thanks twice once through my sobs and again when I calmed down to make sure he understood what I had said!

Rachel

I'm glad you have someone at work who is understanding and caring. Even though they died, we still like to talk about them. It's been 5 1/2 years for me and yet just last night a man in my Bible Study group brought up George and it meant so much to me to hear him talk about him. It makes us feel good that others remember them!

It helps tremendously when the people around you understand. Pat and I worked together, so everyone at work is very understanding. They don't know exactly what I am going through but they are there when I need them. The last couple of days for some reason have been quite difficult for me. Tears while I am sitting at my desk is not unusual. (I am in an office by myself). It just brings me comfort to know that if I needed someone to talk to there is always someone here for me. It also makes me feel good that he is still brought up in conversations. He was such a funny person and they always say how much they miss his humor. He knew how to put a smile on everyone face. He was so much fun to be around.

Kat